1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Same brand surrounds...my "test"

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by Alfer, May 14, 2007.

1. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Well a while back at HTT it was determined by many folks that you MUST have the same brand surround speakers in a HT set up to get the most/best/coherent sound throughout.

To catch the folks up who missed out, I run the same brand speakers (Celeston) on my front set and center..the 3 rears are Optimus bookshelf speakers..I don't recall the model number.

Well after the discussion I started paying more attention to the sounds I was hearing...one test that I hadn't planned on was done while watching "Monster House" there are several scenes that are great at showing off any discrepencies in tonal sound etc between fronts and backs...

One scene is early on when the red headed snooty girl rings the doorbell of the main kids house to sell the babysitter some cookies...in the scene the camera pans around while the doorbell rings numerous times...the sound travels from the front (showing the door) and rotates to the back surrounds while the scene adjusts the vantage points of the scene..it is very easy to hear the lingering sound of the bell as it moves in the scene.

I can safely report that not one time during the sound panning did I notice even a tiny bit of change in tone of the doorbell...it consistently sounded the same the whole time.

There were a couple of other scenes that offered up such "tests" and glad to report they all passed with flying colors....

I still keep my ears open when we watch movies to determine if indeed not having the same brand speakers for the rears is ruining my experience, but so far, using a different brand set of speakers has had ZERO effect on the movies.

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Well a while back at HTT it was determined by many folks that you MUST have the same brand surround speakers in a HT set up to get the most/best/coherent sound throughout.

To catch the folks up who missed out, I run the same brand speakers (Celeston) on my front set and center..the 3 rears are Optimus bookshelf speakers..I don't recall the model number.

Well after the discussion I started paying more attention to the sounds I was hearing...one test that I hadn't planned on was done while watching "Monster House" there are several scenes that are great at showing off any discrepencies in tonal sound etc between fronts and backs...

One scene is early on when the red headed snooty girl rings the doorbell of the main kids house to sell the babysitter some cookies...in the scene the camera pans around while the doorbell rings numerous times...the sound travels from the front (showing the door) and rotates to the back surrounds while the scene adjusts the vantage points of the scene..it is very easy to hear the lingering sound of the bell as it moves in the scene.

I can safely report that not one time during the sound panning did I notice even a tiny bit of change in tone of the doorbell...it consistently sounded the same the whole time.

There were a couple of other scenes that offered up such "tests" and glad to report they all passed with flying colors....

I still keep my ears open when we watch movies to determine if indeed not having the same brand speakers for the rears is ruining my experience, but so far, using a different brand set of speakers has had ZERO effect on the movies.

3. My personal tests told me that what was important was the tweeter and the volume level being properly matched? YMMV.

4. My personal tests told me that what was important was the tweeter and the volume level being properly matched? YMMV.

5. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

I'm in general agreement with your assessment. For movies you can generally "get away with it".

However if you are really trying to achieve "the most/best/coherent sound throughout" I would say that "you MUST have the same brand surround speakers". I have personally found this to be true in MC-music such as SACD and DVD-A.

6. Phil Rose

Phil Rose Member

I'm in general agreement with your assessment. For movies you can generally "get away with it".

However if you are really trying to achieve "the most/best/coherent sound throughout" I would say that "you MUST have the same brand surround speakers". I have personally found this to be true in MC-music such as SACD and DVD-A.

7. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Gee Alfer, fishing under a bridge?

Seriously, it's simply a matter of opinion, 'essential' and 'good enuff' are all dependant on your individual tastes and pocketbook. Personally speaking, before I changed out my rears I have a pair of horn-loaded Klipsch bookshelf speakers playing rear to my Sonus Faber front-end. The softdome Sonus were horrible matches to the Klipsch's not matter how a tweaked around the rear volume levels.

Your observations are mostly anecdotal, at best. Really, speakers of similar construction are going to sound, well, similar. What type of drivers did the speakers sport?

8. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Gee Alfer, fishing under a bridge?

Seriously, it's simply a matter of opinion, 'essential' and 'good enuff' are all dependant on your individual tastes and pocketbook. Personally speaking, before I changed out my rears I have a pair of horn-loaded Klipsch bookshelf speakers playing rear to my Sonus Faber front-end. The softdome Sonus were horrible matches to the Klipsch's not matter how a tweaked around the rear volume levels.

Your observations are mostly anecdotal, at best. Really, speakers of similar construction are going to sound, well, similar. What type of drivers did the speakers sport?

9. Alfer

Alfer New Member

As for speaker spec's I'll have to dig them up when I get home...I don't recall what's in the surrounds.

Here's my fronts:
    CELESTION

Center:
    CENTER

10. Alfer

Alfer New Member

As for speaker spec's I'll have to dig them up when I get home...I don't recall what's in the surrounds.

Here's my fronts:
    CELESTION

Center:
    CENTER

11. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I'm pretty sure my surrounds are the Optimus 7's that were made about 8 years ago or so.

12. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I'm pretty sure my surrounds are the Optimus 7's that were made about 8 years ago or so.

13. Alfer

Alfer New Member

p.s.

I'm not looking to get in a pissing contest over this, just posting my findings...some here will appreciate it, some will not...just wanted to make sure we keep it civil now that we're in a new home.

:)

14. Alfer

Alfer New Member

p.s.

I'm not looking to get in a pissing contest over this, just posting my findings...some here will appreciate it, some will not...just wanted to make sure we keep it civil now that we're in a new home.

:)

15. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

I've also found, and am currently running a system, that I can "get away" with not having matching surrounds. My fronts (and center) are KIT281s and my surrounds are Aperion Audio.

I'd prefer to have a matched system, if nothing else than from an OCD standpoint, but what I have now is good enough for me. For now :)

16. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

I've also found, and am currently running a system, that I can "get away" with not having matching surrounds. My fronts (and center) are KIT281s and my surrounds are Aperion Audio.

I'd prefer to have a matched system, if nothing else than from an OCD standpoint, but what I have now is good enough for me. For now :)

17. Shane

Shane Active Member

I tried it briefly but it became distracting. It's especially bad if your center is not of the same tweeter/woofer as your mains. Rear wise it's noticable to me. I've heard systems where the mains, center and rears were all the same speaker and the difference is not subtle.

Given my room and preferences, I simply couldn't make it happen. I prefer my 2 channel music without a subwoofer so using bookshelf/monitor mains would not work.

18. Shane

Shane Active Member

I tried it briefly but it became distracting. It's especially bad if your center is not of the same tweeter/woofer as your mains. Rear wise it's noticable to me. I've heard systems where the mains, center and rears were all the same speaker and the difference is not subtle.

Given my room and preferences, I simply couldn't make it happen. I prefer my 2 channel music without a subwoofer so using bookshelf/monitor mains would not work.

19. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

My center and surrounds are Paradigms, and my mains are Carvers. Sub is DeF Tech. On movies, I just don't have a problem with them being not matched. Just can't tell. And my music listening is done only with the Carvers. My only worry there is about their life expectancy. They're about 15 years old now. (The Carvers)

edited for clarity by me.

20. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

My center and surrounds are Paradigms, and my mains are Carvers. Sub is DeF Tech. On movies, I just don't have a problem with them being not matched. Just can't tell. And my music listening is done only with the Carvers. My only worry there is about their life expectancy. They're about 15 years old now. (The Carvers)

edited for clarity by me.