1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Serenity

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Ron-P, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Movie night planned tonight with 3 neighbors that just finished up the Firefly series and have not seen the movie. Should be a blast as this is one of the best Sci-fi movies / series since the first Star Wars, hands down.

Such a shame this show did not last. Great cast that work very, very well together.

2. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

Re: Serentiy

I agree, except you give Star Wars too much credit. The series was fantastic, but treated like shit by Fox. Have a great time! The movie is terrific!

3. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

Re: Serentiy

Yes, IMO it's the best show/movie since star wars. you'll love the movie, it's great.

astonishing that it didn't last as a series.

4. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I own and enjoy Serenity on HD DVD.

I never got to see any of the Firefly series but I have had my eyes open for it. After seeing the movie I really wanted to go back and get the full story. I am not sure that I agree that it is the best sci-fi movie or series but it was quite enjoyable.

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Not quite, A New Hope and Empire were equally as fantastic in my book. I'd still say I enjoy the first couple of Star Wars movies a bit more, but not by much.

Well, the neighbors loved it. I loaned them my Firefly series and then they watched this. One of my neighbors went out and bought two Firefly sets after watching mine, guess Target had them on sale for $19.99 :shock:

He also said that an SE of Serenity is in the works. If true I sure hope it's a DC and on HD-DVD. This is still one of the best looking HD-DVDs I own.

6. Greg W

Greg W New Member

I think it'd be cool if Lucas re-made the old ones with the technology available today...that'd be pretty kick-ass...

*puts on his flamesuit and races off before SW purists can shoot him*

7. Greg W

Greg W New Member

Oh, and I have the season DVD set of Firefly sitting on my unwatched shelf. I'll get to it soon, I hope.

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Not if they turned out anything like this recent trilogy and only if he used models and was not allowed to use any CGI. Now, maybe get Peter Jackson to remake them, then they might have a chance at being good.

9. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

It might be cool if *someone* remade them, but it sure as shit shouldn't be Lucas. Maybe if they got someone who could write better dialog...

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Dialog is one thing, but if there ever was an example of how not to use CGI these recently trilogies would be the poster child. His moives look almost cartoonish it's so bad.

11. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

Agreed but the dialog is more artificial than the CGI :)

12. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Yet you're super excited to see what will for sure be a huge CGI orgy movie called...Transformers??

:wink: :lol:

13. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Surely Lucas had access to, and the deep pockets for, the best technology available.

What went wrong??

14. Alfer

Alfer New Member

With the newer trilogies?

If so I'd say nothing...it was just a fun sci-fi film with lots of cool outer space locations and gadgets etc....the story and acting was pretty lame, but visually the movies IMO looked great. I never went in expecting too much to begin with and thus didn't feel so passionate in the "hate" department as many "fans" did. It was what is was..silly escapism.

15. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

Lucas usually does have some of the best f/x in his films as ILM is usually near the top of the f/x game, although they have a lot more competition now and aren't always that groundbreaking anymore. Weta is an example of an up and coming studio that will give ILM a run for its money.

However, I thought the prequels were pretty bad but they got better as they went along. In my view, Phantom Menace was nothing more than a 2 hour plus toy commercial. They really could have fit the whole thing into two movies. Lucas can come up with great stories and characters, but his directing and writing skills are lacking. Ever notice how the Star Wars movie that is regarded as being the best of them all wasn't directed by him?

It'll be interesting to see if he updates any of the f/x in the original trilogy when he re-releases all the movies in 3D over the coming years. I will admit that I'll go see all 6 again when they are in 3D because I am weak and a sucker for these kinds of gimmicks.

Back to the topic on hand, Firefly and Serenity are both fantastic. While I love both shows, I enjoyed Firefly a lot more than Battlestar Galactica.

16. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

For starters, it looks real, not like Lucas's cartoons. Secondly, it's not all CGI...Nice to see some still use models.

[​IMG]

17. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

To my eyes, some of the CGI work suffered from looking too 'perfect' (for lack of a better word). Models (and filming on film instead of 'digital') can look more realistic because they *are* real. To me, the best effects are a combination of model work with CGI being used to supplement detail and do perfect composites.

It's something I've brought up in earlier discussions, I think our brain is attuned to seeing things in a certain realistic manner and when it sees something that obviously can not exist, it tells us so. This theory of mine mostly relates to movies where they make the camera (via CGI) do impossible physical movements on screen. The brain says, "Hey, it can't do that" so the effect then looks artificial.

I think some of the CGI effects artists - and they are immensely talented, make no mistake - need to take more photography, art, anatomy, and physics classes. Doing so would aid them tremendously toward making more realistic computer effects.

18. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Very interesting. Thanks Peter!

19. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

You're welcome.

If I had the money to sponsor research, I love to have that theory - that the brain 'knows' something is phony - tested. Along with my other pet theory, that film running through a projector with a shutter (standard 35mm setup) affects the eye-brain combo in a different manner than a projected video image (either CRT or digital). I think film projection engages us actively while video is passive. I'll admit I have nothing to back me up on either theory other than a gut instinct :)

20. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II New Member

To bring this back around to topic...

If you have seen Serenity and haven't seen the Firefly season GO GET IT AND WATCH IT NOW! You're in for one helluva ride!

Firefly my have been the best SciFi series that has ever graced the airwaves...MUCH better than most of the S*$T that's on the tube now.