Shadowrun demo up on Live

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Michael, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Downloading it now.

2. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

OK.

Played the "tutorials" earlier yesterday and was able to get some multi-player gaming in last night.

I love the idea of using magic, tech and weapons together. The ability to heal and resurrect players really changes the pacing and tactics of a FPS. The game mechanics (jumping, gliding, weapons, etc) all seem very good and work well together.

Now the bad. First off, in big hairy firefights it is almost impossible to tell who you are fighting. Lots of friendly fire caused by not enough distinction between teams. It has been suggested that this is on purpose as there is a "Tech" ability to prevent friendly fire, but I don't like it. The other big negative is that you really need a good team. If the other team has half their guys helping out with resurrections and you are the only one on your team trying to rez, then your team is going to lose just about every round. Having folks help each other out is a core part of the game and it is too easy to get matched up with people who just want to try and run and gun (at least in the demo).

I may pick up this title. It is right on the edge of being something really great. If I had some assurances that I could find good teams on the released version, I would go ahead and pull the trigger.

3. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

I haven't played the demo, but from what I've read the multiplayer is what will make or break this game.

4. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I don't think there is a "story mode". Think of it like Counter-Strike.

You can play alone against "bots", who are suprisingly better teammates then some of the guys you get matched up with in the demo!

5. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Ah, that would make sense then if there is no story mode. Probably not the game for me then. I'm much more interested in games that I can play co-op with a friend or two through a story mode.

Isn't this the first game to be compatible with Windows Live also?

6. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I think so.

There was an interesting story about how the XBox 360 players were owning the PC players since this game relies so much on quick access to magic and tech. I can see how the trigger setups on a controller can help someone who makes good use of teleporting, rezzing, gliding, etc.

7. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Let me say again.... the gameplay itself is fun and interesting. I can just see the frustration factor being insanely high if you have to deal with lame teammates.

8. Shane

Shane Active Member

It is for sure.