1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Shrek the third

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Jerry Pease, May 18, 2007.

1. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member

Anyone adventuring out this weekend?

2. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I would like to but it is a very busy weekend.

Maybe a late night showing with the nieces!

3. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

I've pretty much given up going to the theater opening weekend. Just don't like the crowds, noise, people basically. But my wife really wants to see this one so we'll see if I can get her to put it off for a few weeks or not :)

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Way to busy at the theaters opening week....we'll probably hold off a few weeks....we may even opt to go see it at the local drive-in.

:)

5. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

the immense popularity of "shrek" is something that i just don't get. i saw the first two and thought they were ok, nice, but nothing special. nothing worthy of oscars, 90% tomatometer ratings, and $400 million at the box office.

i was planning on seeing this one, but seeing how bad most of the reviews are, and the enormous crowds that surely will flock to it, probably not.

6. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I'm with you on this one.

I thought the first one was pretty good, but nothing special. I never finished the second one. I've never understood the appeal, either. Having said that, I'll be watching #3 with my wife because she likes them.

:p

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I'll rent it.

8. mikesd

mikesd New Member

Taking a couple of the grandkids to the Sunday matinee, it will be the three year old's first theater trip so it ought to be a lot of fun. :shock:

9. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

well i broke down and saw it today, and i was very unimpressed. most of shrek III was just plain boring, and the rest was almost embarrasingly bad. i caught myself wincing numerous times at the lame jokes, bad animation, etc.

circa shrek I, Dreamworks-PDI seemed poised to give Disney-Pixar a run for the money, not just literally, in a box-office sense, but artistically and technically too, pushing the art of animation forward.

But Dreamworks-PDI, while succeeding commercially, has long since abandoned their artistice/technical end of it, and i think the lack of competition has hurt pixar's art (i thought "cars" was decent, but while technically brilliant was aritstically lifeless) as well.

10. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Active Member

I saw it yesterday, and really liked it. Call me crazy- it wasn't great- but the writing and the jokes worked for me, the story was good (written by Andrew Adamson again, but sadly, he didn't direct)- but the execution and pacing were both just a little "off" this time. The movie was still enjoyable for me, wife, 4 yo son, 2 teenage nieces, brother and sister-in law- but I noticed that the absence of Adamson's pacing and directing creativity hurt this one a bit.

The jokes come fast and furious, and I have to say I was surprised at how many are aimed straight at young parents like myself- lots of 70's and 80's TV and film references (in the form of sight gags), classic rock-based soundtrack ("Barracuda", "Live and Let Die", "The Immigrant Song" etc.)

Overall a fun movie- if you liked #1 and #2 (especially #2), you will probably enjoy this one. If you weren't fond of the first two, then there's an old saying in Tennessee that applies ? I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee ? that says, fool me once, shame on ? shame on you. Fool me ? you can't get fooled again. :lol: :lol:

-Dennis

11. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Took my 3 year old to this this afternoon. It was pretty good. Not as good as 1 and 2 and a little bit slower but still good.

12. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

My daugher, 10, likes the first 2, she saw this opening night and said it was "ok".

13. CJ

Ask her if she thought it was too slow with not enough happening. I'd be curious to see if a 10 year old could pick up on the reason it wasn't as good as the first 2.

14. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I just asked her, not as funny and slower then the others.

15. Dennis Pagoulatos

I bet it was the fact that so many of the jokes were aimed at 30-40 year olds. :D

16. CJ

Thanks,

Dennis, I doubt it, as I didn't think there were as many jokes period.

17. Hayes Preston

Hayes Preston New Member

Wow, I feel that same about this movie as Spidey 3, good, not great, fun, but not as good as 1 or 2. Why is it seem obligatory to add tons of new characters to sequels? I thought overall it was good, but I was looking for more adventure.

I will take the kids this weekend and see how they like it.

One little note, the little boy sitting beside me, clapped at the end (I won't post the exact moment for it is a slight spoiler) but it was cute.

18. Alfer

Alfer New Member

We just saw it this afternoon...I think I chuckled maybe once or twice...not NEARLY as fun to watch as 1 or 2. Overall a very tired and lazy story with very little humor. I have no plans to rewatch, although my little girl liked it enough that I'm sure I'll end up getting it when it hits DVD.

I'd give it a 4 out of 10.

19. Dennis Pagoulatos

My impression was that there were lots of jokes, but a lot (and I mean a lot) seemed to be quick sight gags that may not seem funny if the pop culture reference point doesn't come across- but I could be wrong- maybe the pacing was slower than the first two?

At any rate, I know I'll get a better impression after seeing bits and pieces a billion times while my son watches the inevitable DVD. :D

-Dennis