"Sicario"

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Denton, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

After a summer movie season that has been marginal at best, we are beginning to see some quality movies. "Sicario" spills a sense of dread and gloom over you aided by a strange soundtrack. The bad guys are really bad and the good guys aren't always so good. Emily Blunt is better than I would ever have expected. And Del Toro is chilling yet still human. Recommended for adults.

2. Shane

Shane Active Member

I viewed Sicario yesterday with a buddy. It's a dark look at the current War on Drugs near the Texas border. It has the makings of Heat twisted with a real human element to the story and some political things that will trouble you.

In the end, this felt like 2 movies with multiple story lines and the end left me unsatisfied. The action is tense, the story is a bit of a mess and the concept is a bit far fetched. The acting, cinematography and real guts of the film are fantastic.. Oscar worthy even.

I won't get into the spoilers unless you want to but there were several loose ends that were left hanging which created the feeling of dissatisfaction.

If you can look past the flaws, I think most people will enjoy this but the flaws are pretty obvious to me and I can't get past it.

3. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Active Member Donor

So it's Traffic 2, with Del Toro again ;)?
    I have this on preorder (us Europeans get it a few week after you guys), looks really interesting

DYohn and Jay Brown like this.
  4. Jay Brown

Jay Brown Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

This was my thought as well considering Del Toro's presence in the film really comes through during the latter third. Add a smidgen of No Country for Old Men in there as well because of the suspense. For me, it's going to require a second viewing, but Del Toro's role really sparks up this film.

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I watched this today and really enjoyed it. I didn't have the same issues with the film that @Shane mentioned. Maybe I'm cuckoo but it didn't seem far fetched at all but the story is a bit "huh?" in a few places. I'd give it a solid 7/10.