1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Sign on my property

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Colton, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

Came home to find a "HOME FOR SALE ->" sign on the edge of my property. Our house is on a corner lot, so does this automatically permit people to advertise their house on our street by sticking their sign on my property? I would think the owner would at least ask permission before posting a sign (which I probably wouldn't allow anyway). How do I handle this? Am I wrong to think this? :x

2. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

If it is on the curb, it's possible that's city property, not yours. It's still possible there is an ordinance (city, HOA, e.g.) which disallows the sign. But if it's your property...pick up the sign and throw it in the trash.

3. Colton

If it is city property - then I guess I don't have to mow that area since it should be their responsibility. I don't know. The sign is located just past the sidewalk and on a wire sign stuck into the ground on the corner. So, would you think that the area past the sidewalk would be all city property?

Now I hear the term "easement section" which is between the sidewalk and the curb ... appearently, this is allowed. Still researching.

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

pic?

:)

5. cjd

cjd New Member

So yes, generally the section between sidewalk and curb is officially "city" property and there is some allowance for this kind of thing - however it's also yours to maintain and care for officially. :)

C

6. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

'City Property' isn't entirely accurate. There is actual city property (the public parks, the city building, etc. are generally owned by the city), but the public right-of-way isn't the same thing. The location of the right-of-way varies, and different jurisdictions have different standards. Around here it is common for the right-of-way in a relatively recent subdivision to be on the order of 60 feet wide, with the back of the sidewalk being located pretty much at the right-of-way line. In this case the sidewalk and the grass strip between the sidewalk and the curb is not your property, although you must maintain it.

Nobody has the right to put a sign on your property (I can't imagine this is not the case). Placing a sign in the right-of-way is another matter, and your city (or township or county) has ordinances regulating this. Nowadays more and more municipalities have their ordinances available online so you could easily see them yourself. This isn't to say that you can't tear down a sign that someone places in the right-of-way in front of your house (I imagine you could), just that the regulations are different. Your HOA (if you have one) may or may not say anything about this I don't know.

The "easement section" you refer to here could be a number of things. I won't take the time to speculate without knowing more.

7. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Colton, are you sure you did not put your house up for sale and just forget?

8. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Active Member War Zone Member

Yea, how much ya askin?

:)

9. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Man I wish I knew someone in Tulsa to go knock and his door and ask if he would mind showing ths house right now.

Shane can you help us out with someone to drive Colton nuts?

10. Colton

OMG! I can't believe I forgot I put that sign there! LOL!

11. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Pitch the sign or lay it in the street.

12. Chris White

Chris White New Member

If it were me, I'd find the house it is referring to and then drop off the sign there.

13. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Call the realty office on the sign and tell them they have 30 minutes to move it or they can come pick up the pieces after you shred it.

14. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

Wow, you must live in a rough neighborhood.. The guy should have asked you, but you said you would have refused anyway. Where's the love.? I can't imagine that if any of my neighbors was selling his house I would be in such an uproar. Frankly, I'm totally surprised by the reaction across the board here. It's only a sign fercrissakes!

15. Colton

It's the principal of the matter. Can't have every Tom, Dick and Harry puttin' their signs in your front yard. Besides this sign doesn't even show the address or realty company - it just says "Home For Sale". Heck, I'll take a picture ... BRB ... Okay, here we go ...

Home4Sale.jpg

See? Nothing to say who the owner is or address. I'm expecting people to start knocking on my door wanting a walk-through. :?

16. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Artie, we have to have something to complain about. It's the bitch of living. :)

- Steve

17. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Why not put a big sign right next to it that says "SOLD"?

It would be legal, but would piss of the realtor since it might turn away potential buyers. Maybe they would actually engage in a conversation with you about a better placement of the sign.

18. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Damn man where do you live, Oklahoma or some other backwoods?

8)

Artie: we're just having fun.

19. Colton

Gosh, if we can't bitch - what else do we have??? :)

20. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That would be funny.