1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Sinus Surgery

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Troy Seufert, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Has anyone on here had this procedure done? I'm looking for some firsthand experiences as I'm scheduled to have this done on July 9th.

2. Jeff

Jeff New Member

Ughh. Never had that done but back in Feb I had my deviated septum corrected and the turbinates zapped to shrink them down. There was a ton of bleeding for a few days afterwards.

However I must say the most uncomfortable feeling was when the doctor removed the packing material from up in the nose (after a couple days). It didn't hurt at all but kinda felt like your brain was getting slowly tugged out via your nose......shiver...

Sinus surgery shouldn't be too much worse than the procedure I had done though. A little pain and swelling so take it easy for a few days. The doc should give you plenty of percocet to get you through the experience.

Glad I had my procedure done though. I can breathe perfectly through my nose and haven't had to touch a decongestant since Feb (I used to pop Sudafed pills like tic-tacs on a daily basis).

Jeff

3. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

That's good to know. (apart from the brain being pulled through the nose part. :) )

I've had chronic sinus problems for the last four years, antibiotics are no longer useful, and I've reached the point of "live with it or have the surgery" and I've elected for the surgery.

I'm mostly trying not to freak out about the actual procedure. I've never had surgery of any kind in my life.

It will definitely be nice to breathe normally again though and not constantly be coughing and having drainage and congestion. I've forgotten what that's like.

4. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

What kind of surgery?

I had surgery to repair a deviated septum and to burn off some tissue in there that was overgrown (and impacting my breathing at night). The surgery was a breeze, but I could have done without the recovery. :D

I would highly recommend having lots of movies or other distractions available to keep you entertained and your mind off of the fact that you have crap stuffed up your nose for a few days!

5. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Sounds like fairly similar type of surgery Michael. They are going to go in and remove some tissue to make my sinus drainage passages larger. Everything I'm reading and hearing makes it sound like the recovery is the tough part.

I'm sure I will be camped out on the couch watching movies and playing 360 for a few days. :)

6. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

And that is exactly what you should be doing!

7. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

My wife had a deviated septum done, her turbinates removed and an air pocket cleared out from her sinus. It was day surgery, and she was miserable for about a week. Her septum was reconnected a little crooked, and were not really sure what to do about that, so next time, I would have a plastic surgeon do it. However, she's not willing to do it again, so she will probably live with it. I pulled her packing on the second day. Not fun.

8. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Well, the day has arrived. I'll be operated on at 11:15am Pacific time tomorrow (Monday). He will be "roto-rooting" me out and removing my biturbinates. No work needing to be done on the septum (thank goodness). Hopefully everything will go smoothly. Never had any type of surgery done before so I'm a little anxious, but not too bad. Any thoughts and prayers would be much appreciated.

9. hgroff

hgroff New Member

I had a rhino past and septio plast done back in 1996. I would call myself an expert at the most painful experience of my life. Not only did It cure my diviated septum, but I had them take a little off the top while they were at it. :yes: I had a rather large nose prior to 1996! :D What your descibing above sounds a lot simpler than what I went through. I had packing in my nose for two weeks, and racoon eyes for six months. The pain extreme pain last about a month, then for another two months just mild pain like a bad head ache all the time. It finally subsided, and really the proceedure worked great I could sleep with out perma snore, and My allergies subsided, plus I lost the huge huge snout......

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2007
  10. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

Best wishes Troy. I hope you're drugged up enough to forget about this post until about Thursday! :D:tu:

11. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Best Wishes Troy. I will send you my best Karma.

12. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

Anyone heard from Troy? I wonder how he is doing...

Edit: I see he was playing Guitar Hero last night so he must be doing OK :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2007
  13. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Hmmm...sounds like the Live dates are screwed up. I played in the morning before surgery, but nothing since. :)

That said, the surgery seemed to go OK and I'm recovering pretty well so far. Breathing through the mouth sucks, but so far not a terribly great deal of pain.

Thanks for all the best wishes.

14. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Ain't modern chemistry wonderful? :D

Glad to hear everything went well. :)