1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Smokey and the Bandit HD DVD

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by chad, Jun 7, 2007.

1. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member

I am really impressed with Amazon. I ordered through the link here yesterday afternoon and I found it in between my front door and screen door when I got home this afternoon.

I will give it a spin a little later today and report back with my thoughts on the "new" transfer. I also have a SD copy so I can compare the two.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Cool, and thanks for the order!

3. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

CJ has lots of pull at Amazon. ;)

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

"get me a Diablo samich and a Dr. Pepper..and make it quick I'm in goddam hurry!"

"No WAY you come from my loins"

:)

Love love that movie...

5. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

This is the movie with Burt Reynolds and Sally Fields?

6. Alfer

Alfer New Member

If ya have to ask..then you just aren't hip to it dude...

(si..it is)

7. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Ugh. Another reinforcement of my "not enough good content yet on HD to make it worthwhile" arguement. Good for those of you who like this kind of movie. Me, I'll pass thank you. Just like the "5-free disc offer." There might be two or three on the list I'd even care to see, let alone own.

8. Tyson

Tyson New Member

The funniest thing going for this movie is Jackie Gleason, and he practically makes it worth the price of a rental.

9. CJ

I just filled out the 5 free HD-DVDs rebate and I only had a problem with one "group" where I was like, eh, wish I could pick a second film from the other groups... Its getting better. You can't please everyone. I'm sure there are some statistics and calculations behind which films they're going to release and its not a list of "which films does Alfer (or anyone else) think are good enough to purchase a player".

10. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

Absolutely and those calculations usually come down to things like DVD sales and rental figures and focus group opinion and audience testing information. I am the first to admit that my taste in movies and music is NOT mainstream, and certainly it is not in line with "middle America." :)

11. CJ

Same here. I've never seen this movie. I'm just sayin'

12. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

And by the way this was NOT intended as a slam against anyone who finds this kind of movie fun and entertaining. It's just not for me, that's all.

13. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Wow another example of a post that if'd have said this would have been brow beaten until the sun went down... :wink:

p.s.

I sense a lot more negativity with your posts lately Mr. Yohn as far as HD/Blu stuff goes... :lol:

14. CJ

I've already mentioned this once today Alfer. One of the keys is not saying it every single time the subject comes up. When it appears you have a script running that auto-replies with thread dumps, you will get a vastly different reaction than the one David gets.

15. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Just havin some lighthearted fun....no need to worry.

16. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

On the contrary Alfer, I am very bullish on the next gen formats. I already purchased one of the first HD-DVD players and I am just about ready to ahem a BRD machine (I am simply waiting on the 2nd gen.) My comment and any negative feelings are that there is simply not enough content available yet, or perhaps it's just that the titles that are being released have very low appeal to me. Give me "2001" and "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Godfather" and "Apocalypse Now" and "Satyricon" on high def. thank you very much. I was very happy to see "Casablanca" on the list.

And by the way, if anyone feels like they need to brow beat me for a post I make, do not let me stop you! ;)

17. Tyson

Tyson New Member

David,
    Those titles alone might make me do something I should not do right now, financially speaking.

18. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Truth be told, David is ashamed to admit that Smokey and the Bandit went over his head.

19. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

10-4 good buddy. :D

20. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Whoa, I figure you'd stay home for that sort of thing.