1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Smokin' Aces

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by CJ, May 14, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

This is a fast and loose action film with lots of explosions and a high body count. Nothing extraordinary about the plot but it was reasonable well executed. If you're a fan of shoot em up movies, check this one out. I give it a 3/5 but this isn't really my genre. If its yours, give it a rental...

2. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I went ahead and bought it on HD DVD. I have a friend and from time to time he suggests a movie, historically he has been spot on.

I really enjoyed this leave your brain at the door type movie. I did think Piven did a great job with his role and I actually liked Ray Liotta in this movie.

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, its sort of a "Die Hard" on a violence/body count level, without the charisma of Bruce Willis. I'd watch it again with someone if they really wanted to see it but not again on my own.

4. Hayes Preston

Hayes Preston New Member

Just got this one via netflix. My initial impression were pretty good, I was diggin the "True Romance" sort of vibe, a little action a little humor. Then the last half came along and it seemed like the movie started to take itself way too seriously, if it had kept the whole tongue in cheek feel I would give it an overall thumbs up, however, I will have to go with thumbs down on this one, however there are a handful of scenes that are enjoyable.

5. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Hayes, I agree, it did have somewhat of a True Romance feel to it, I love True Romance.

6. Eric

Eric Active Member

On the scale between stinker and bearable to watch, this one was closer to stinker for me. They tried to develop too many character lines and it seemed that a lot of their stories ended up on the cutting room floor. The story just didn't flow very well.