1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Someone rehash for me why a NAS is bad?

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Ken McDaniel, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

I remember a discussion over at HTT which basically concluded that running a NAS for a digital distribution solution was a bad idea. I just want to make sure I understand the basics before spending any additional money. So far I've picked up digital music server (Sonos) and an external 320 GB USB drive for backup. I've shared out and uploaded about 80 GB of Apple Lossless onto my PC's 200 GB storage drive. The Sonos website seems to indicate that the NAS is the optimum solution because the music system isn't dependant on the status of the PC.

Opinions?

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

NAS isn't bad. What was mostly objected to were the consumer grade NAS devices like the one I owned that offered few or no RAID functionality and didn't even have GigE functionality. If you went with something more prosumer like one of the Buffalo terrastations you'd probably be fine. The other argument was that it could easily be cheaper to just use a cheap PC with a good raid controller and NIC and be done with it.

3. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

That was it. I remember the discussion with you and Jim Long (BTW, where is he?). I just couldn't remember the conclusion. I think I'm going to stick with the shared internal/external backup which is what I think you're running at the moment. Someday I'll probably go >1 TB NAS w/ RAID setup, but that's looking down the the road to a day where networked HD video becomes more the norm. For sharing and backing up my lossless audio and photos, I think I'm good to go.

On a side not, I finished uploading all the CD's and the results are very satisfactory. Of course I don't yet own the unit with a digital out (line output only) so there will be room for improvement.

4. brianca

brianca New Member

Of course, that'd be NAS. ;)

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Yeah, but its not going to have the limitations that piece of crap I bought had.

6. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Parry, thrust. 8)