Sony BDP-300 information

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Shane, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Shane

Shane Active Member

They are indeed shipping now.
    Here is some interesting news:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=860948&page=10&pp=30

Post #280
    I know David Yohn had bought one and I know others are interested. Happy HD Viewing!

2. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Yep, I pre-ordered on Amazon and it's supposed to ship on the 18th. I am headed to Taiwan and China on the 23rd for 10 days, so I might not be able to even set it up until July when I get back. In any case, I will be happy to share my experiences if anyone is interested.

3. DYohn

The S300 player arrived today, waiting for me when I got home. I will be able to hook it up later, but here's some initial impressions.

1. This thing is VERY light. It is so light I almost thought they had shipped me an empty box. I guess it weighs no more than 10 pounds, if that. It does not feel very substantial at all, unlike the Toshiba A1 which feels like a well-made piece of machinery. The 100% plastic look and feel of this machine is not impressive out of the box. The owner's manual says it is for the models BDP-S300 and S301. I have not heard anything about an S301, nor is it clear in the manual what difference the 1 might make.

2. In the box is only the player, the manual, a remote control with batteries, a power cord and a cheap (very cheap) set of RCA stereo patch cables and a COMPOSITE RCA video cable. This is a mistake on Sony's part, I think, as the owners manual makes clear over and over that one cannot get HDTV performance via the composite or S-Video outputs. I assume they were trying to cut as much cost as possible, but Sony should have at least included a cheap HDMI cable with the player, especially since this is supposedly targeted at the mass consumer who is used to getting everything in the box they need to use a piece of gear. Shame on Sony for cheaping-out. Retailers will love this, however, and I foresee sales of Monster Cable HDMI interconnects increasing at stores with savvy salesmen. :)

3. The rear connectors are all gold-plated, a nice touch, and there is a full compliment of 5.1 analog audio outs which I plan to use. The player supposedly has six channels of discrete 196Khz/24 bit DACs for these. The machine plays CDs (which earlier Sony BRD players apparently do not) and has a separate stereo audio output that can be used for CD playback, if desired. There is no Ethernet port, which surprised me, and there is a fan.

4. According to the owners manual this player outputs up to 1080i via analog component video outs, and reserves 1080p for HDMI only. The high-res audio formats are down-resed to Dolby Digital or DTS only if using the optical or coax digital audio outs, although it also says it will convert all audio tracks to linear PCM if the user chooses via the digital outs.

Those are my initial impressions. I will post more after I fire it up and take a look and listen to its output. Cheers.

4. Shane

Shane Active Member

Make sure you check the firmware and upgrade it if need be to take advantage of D True HD Lossless and DTS HD(not to be confused with DTS MA lossless).

5. DYohn

Thanks Shane, and good call as I guess some machines shipped with old firmware loaded. I just turned it on and checked and it says it is version 2.0 so I should be good. It took about three minutes for initial boot, but the manual warns of this at initial start up.

OK, time to finish the setup then we are going to watch "Hellboy" that I picked up at Best Buy on the way home - at your suggestion, Mr. Martin. :)

6. Shane

Shane Active Member

The PQ and SQ should be reference material if you use the PCM track. Good choice.

7. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Hellboy is a very interesting movie. I have the uber edition on SD and it is impressive.

8. DYohn

OK, the machine operates slowly, but not as slowly as the Toshiba did. One of the reasons I did not like the A1 was the time lag for things like pressing buttons on the remote control, or the minutes you had to wait to simply eject a disc. The Sony takes a long time to start up and to recognize a disc, but once it does identify the disc it is fine and it played with no issues and no control lag.

PQ is outstanding, as one would expect at 1080p. I noticed some apparent blocking in the blackest portions of the screen, but no jaggies or other typical digital artifacts. And yes, the image on the Hellboy disc is amazing - even if I am not a huge fan of comic book movies. Tonight we will try it up scaling on a standard DVD or two.

Where this player is miles ahead of the Toshiba or DTV HD or OTA is in SQ. Damn. The sound quality out of this player is superb, both on the film soundtrack and with a CD. I am very impressed with the sound quality.

So far so good. Tonight we take a look at the up scaling capabilities and see if the Harmony remote can be programmed to properly control it. I will report more later if anyone is interested.

9. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

I ordered one from Amazon yesterday but just received notification (via Cutchfield) that they are back-ordered.

10. Chris White

Chris White New Member

I didn't think there was any availability until July.

11. Matt J_S

Matt J_S New Member

Does this machine come with an Optical out? From what I see above all I see is Analogues.

12. Shane

Shane Active Member

Yes it does but those do not pass the HD audio formats. DD and DTS only.

13. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I am still confused about this player.

Right now my understanding is that it does not support any of the advanced audio codecs. All audio you would get from the device would be DD or DTS.

If that is true I am amazed that David is reporting that this audio is better then the lossless audio from TrueHD.

14. Shane

Shane Active Member

Your understanding is wrong. The 300 will output True HD, DTS HD or PCM. It's not amazing that Uncompressed PCM sounds better than True HD. It's louder. In theory they should sound the same but ears can be tricky.

Also remember that True HD has dial norm(except if Sony is mastering the title) as Sony has stated they will deactivate dial norm on their True HD recordings.

15. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Interesting. The official Sony thread on AVS suggest that it does not do TrueHD processing, and the comparison thread with the Panny states the same thing.

16. Shane

Shane Active Member

The comparison thread we have stickied here shows it will do True HD via HDMI. It's enabled in Firmware 2.0.

It doesn't do DTS MA. It's essentially a copy of the BDPS1.

17. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Has anyone received that firmware?

I may be missing it, but every post I have seen on AVS states that people are currently not getting TrueHD from the Sony.

David: What firmware do you currently have?

18. Shane

Shane Active Member

Some were shipped with it, some were not.

19. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I sent you a PM.

I still cannot find a user post that has TrueHD working on the Sony. The latest post I saw at AVS was someone asking the Sony insiders for help since discussions with Sony's help line has resulted in mixed information.

20. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

This player may have some of the most conflicting info I have ever seen for a next gen player. There is discussion that it does not support HDMI 1.3, which is also different then Shane's initial post.

From reading the official thread over at AVS, it doesn't seem like there is much good solid info.

The preference comments range from being superb, to complaints about startup times, remote lag, etc. About the only consistent feedback is that it indeed takes a long time to load up Pirates.