1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Sony Cuts Price on New Blu-Ray Player

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by DYohn, Jun 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Sony Cuts Price on New Blu-Ray Player

Jun 4, 12:37 AM (ET)

NEW YORK (AP) - With dominance of the market for high-definition movie discs still up in the air, Sony Corp. (SNE) (SNE) said Monday it is including a small surprise with the new Blu-ray disc player it is shipping this week: a price tag $100 lower than previously announced.

When Sony announced the BDP-S300 player in February, it put the price at $599, but it has now set a list price at $499.

That means the new player costs half of what the company's first Blu-ray player cost when it launched just six months ago - probably one of the fastest price declines in the consumer electronics industry. The new player has essentially the same capabilities as the older BDP-S1 but is smaller.

The price cut is due to falling production costs and the growing demand for Blu-ray products, according to Chris Fawcett, vice president of Sony Electronics' home products division.

Sony has been undersold in the market for high-definition disc players by Toshiba, which created the rival HD DVD format. Its players are now selling for less than $300, 14 months after Toshiba's first player appeared in U.S. stores.

Neither Blu-ray nor HD DVD players have caught on strongly with consumers, who have been waiting for the market to settle on one of the formats. But dropping prices for players and HDTV sets in more homes mean a big showdown between the discs may be looming this holiday season.

Hollywood studios are split on the issue, but Blu-ray has the strongest support.

Most people buying Blu-ray discs are apparently buying them for their Sony PlayStation 3 game consoles. The cheapest version of the console costs $499, but its game-oriented wireless controller and relatively loud fan makes it a less than ideal movie player.

2. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

Someone has to explain that to me... since when does growing demand drive lower prices?

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Plus they could price them at whatever they want, they've already won the format war.

4. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

They have?

5. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

I think CJ forgot the :)

6. CJ

Where have you been man? They do a press release every 2 weeks announcing that they have.

7. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

8. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

In the CE world, growing demand can drive lower prices because of economies of scale. It is cheaper on a per-unit basis to produce 100,000 somethings than it is to produce 10,000 somethings if you have sufficient demand to justify the production run. But I think the real reason here is to maintain some sort of parity with Toshiba.

9. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

[Dorie from Nemo voice on] Just keep dropin', just keep dropin' :D

10. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

This is frustrating... I really would like in on the HD thang but I am paralyzed by which format to go.

The 360 HD player is attractive price-wise but HD DVD looks like it may lose the battle here - Blu Ray appears to have the momentum...? And the standalone Blu Ray players are still kinda spendy.

The LG combo player is out but with its shoddy implementation of HD DVD features, I am just not willing to drop $1500 CAD on a "interim" player.

ARGH!

11. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

Heyyyy ... I posted this news a full 12 minutes earlier. This is a dupe. :(

12. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Sheesh Colton..stop being such a whiny-ass publicity hog!!

:wink: :lol:

13. Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair New Member

Is that thing fanless? It looks to be a PS3-killer (only as far as the non-gaming crowd goes, of course).

14. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Active Member War Zone Member

Colton,
    David's just looked more official. :)

15. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

Michael: I haven't read anything about a fan yet. The new player uses the PS3 ROM drive instead of the Pioneer BRD drive in the S1 which is probably the biggest enabler of their price cut. It is 1080p, HDMI 1.3, has full support of all BRD protocols including BD-Java, is fully compatible with CDs and (it is rumored) SACD and DVD-A multichannel playback via HDMI, and supports the new AVC advanced-color systems. It is positioned to compete with the Toshiba A20 and yes, is most likely designed to lure those of us who do not want to use a PS3 in our HT system. :)

16. CJ

Cool!

17. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Wow! I had not followed it that closely, but if it does SACD over analog I may have to get rid of my 1st gen Sony and get this one. I seriously doubt it would play dvd-a on a Sony player, it would be the first.

18. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

Not over analog, via HDMI only. It does not have multi channel analog audio outs AFAIK. It does have an optical digital audio out.

19. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Which version of BD-J?

Does it have an ethernet port?

20. DYohn

Top Poster Of Month

I don't know Michael. I guess we will find out when the player hits the street.