Soundstage from Mike

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Steve L., Jun 12, 2007.

1. Steve L.

Steve L. New Member

Ahhh yeah, just like 'ol times :)

I read the article and reflected upon it.

Let's not talk about imaging vs compression of small drivers.

Let's just blab about one phrase he made :

Your soundstage, (as long as the center fill remains cohesive), cannot be too big.

See to me, that makes bloutted images at times. i.e overbig and fat. Clear me up on this!

2. cjd

cjd New Member

I think that there are two different aspects to this.

First: preference. Nothing more to say there.

Second: from a purely geometrical perspective, 10 and 2 o-clock are always 10 and 2. If they're not, you've an issue perhaps.

However, if you have a huuuuge ass stage and 10 and 2 are in the right places, it's not a stage issue, it's one of scale. Which probably plays into soundstage, but I'm not sure if Mike is including that in his comment.

On the other hand, if a twenty-foot tall bass player and a fifty foot piano is considered a great thing, ...

C

3. Steve L.

Steve L. New Member

Hmmm Interesting thoughts Chris.

I think if the stage is nice and big, you can easily distinguish where the instruments/singer is at precisley. The problem is though, it is IMO a compromise because certain recordings would make the images eems blouted like I often get when listening to panels.

4. cjd

cjd New Member

I'm not a sucker for soundstage, so I really can't say. If I'm into the music, I don't even notice the rest.

C

5. Steve L.

Steve L. New Member

crap, I just saw this thread in the other forum.

:oops: