1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Spare Change - I hit a jackpot in my own house

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Steve Tannehill, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member

I've been accumulating pocket change for over twenty years. I had bags, boxes, cups, mugs, you name it.

It was gathering dust. Sure, having a penny collection is cool, but what's the point when you can go to a CoinStar machine and cash it in for free if you redeem in gift certificates?

So this is what I counted up last night and this morning:

coinstar.jpg

If I had brought all the coins, I would have made that first one $516.32--my very own Gong Show prize. As it stands, I now have almost $600 credit at Amazon. That HD-XA2 is calling...

So how much spare change do you have set aside, and why don't you cash it in already?!?

- Steve

2. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Don't a charge a premium for that?

3. Steve Tannehill

There is no premium if you exchange for gift certificates. Amazon, iTunes, Starbucks, Eddie Bauer are a few of the companies that eliminate the premium.

If you redeem for cash, they charge 8.9 percent. Even the bank charges 4-5 percent.

- Steve

4. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Active Member War Zone Member

Well I guess that will cover the cost of an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray disc or two. So I guess now the question is what is good that is out that you don't already have?

5. Stefan

Stefan Active Member War Zone Member

I recently cashed in $156 at a coin star machine. That was the most I ever accumulated. Of course, I got an Amazon certificate.

Stefan

6. Chris White

Chris White New Member

$600??? Wow!

How did it take to count that much?

7. Steve Tannehill

It was not actually too bad... you just had to pour coins into a tray and feed them through long, straight slot. Every once in a while the machine would say "My, you have a lot of coins, please wait while we catch up" and every once in a while, stray coins would fall into the reject bin, of which a few were deutschmarks, Canadian coins, and videogame tokens. The real coins went back into the slot, and did go through eventually.

All totaled, both sessions took probably 45-minutes to an hour.

I've been meaning to do this for ages, ever since I heard they defer fees for gift certificates.

- Steve

8. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

I put the pocket change in a cup on the dresser. When it gets over half full I start loading it into my pocket in the morning and I spend it right back down again.

9. Eric

Eric Active Member

Before I moved, a friend of mine started rolling my loose change. She hit over $1200 before running out of coin rolls.....

10. Greg W

Greg W New Member

Get the XA2, steve...I think you'll be very, very impressed with the SD upconversion, besides, of course, it's HD duties...

That's a lotta damned change though, lol...

11. Steve Tannehill

Yeah, I'm about to pull the trigger on the XA2. The D2 is a fine machine, and it may ultimately end up replacing my A1 upstairs or go to my father--or back to Costco for a refund.

Amazon's price just dropped to $549. There was talk of it hitting $499 in the coming week, and if they do that, I can always request a refund of the difference.

- Steve

12. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

I hope you had a cart to wheel all that change in, it had to weigh a LOT.

13. Steve Tannehill

The bulk of it was double-bagged in old flannel pillow cases. It was heavy, but not unmanagable.

- Steve

14. Chris Smith

Chris Smith Well-Known Member

My bank doesn't make me pay a fee, so I always just go there. I used to cash out once a year for between $80-120. I haven't cashed them for a few years now, we'll see when i get around to it.

15. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Steve:
    So is the player still in a sealed box? If not, what does one say to the Costco people? "I no longer need this, so please give me my money back please"...? Seems like cheating the system if it's been readily used and has nothing wrong with it...especially if it's been more than say 30 days since you got it...Using Costco as a free upgrade tool to get money back doesn't quite seem fair to me at least.

16. RicP

RicP New Member

Commerce Bank has coin machines like CoinStar but doesn't charge any fee at all. You can get cash immediately even if you don't have an account there. :)

Most I've ever cashed in at once was a little over $300. You got me beat by a longshot Steve!

17. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Wasn't there some mention of this over at HTT that Costco wasn't doing this anymore...or was that just on BS TV's?

18. Alfer

Alfer New Member

A chain of local banks here just installed coin machines in all their branches..totally free to use and no fees to get cash back, even if you don't have an account there.

Very nice perk indeed.

19. Shane

Shane Active Member

Costco has a VERY LIBERAL return policy.

20. Alfer

Alfer New Member

On another forum many were upset as of late last year because so many people abused the system like this that they clamped down ..especially on some electronics etc....

Edit: I see on their site they clamped down on these items: