1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Speaker Advice

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Troy Seufert, May 21, 2007.

1. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

I know Merc already has a speaker thread going, but that thread is way over my budget. :)

I don't listen to a whole lot of music on my HT. It's primarily for movies, TV, and video games. I'll occasionally pop in a CD or one of the two DVD-A discs that I own. Other than that I might stream music from my iTunes library.

My subwoofer recently bit the dust.

I'm still using the Cerwin Vega speakers that I bought nearly 20 years ago...and I like them. :)

I'm wondering if I should just replace the subwoofer and keep the speakers I have and continue to enjoy them as I have.

Or should I invest in some nicer speakers now and replace the subwoofer later on?

What speakers would people recommend that would cost less than say $2,000? $1,000? (I'm pretty sure I spent $500 total for my speakers way back when. lol )

2. Hayes Preston

Hayes Preston New Member

my advice is, keep the speakers you have, you said you still like them, so why upgrade? use the $$ to replace your sub with a decent one that fits your room size.

3. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Offhand I would say keep the speakers you have and replace the subwoofer.

4. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

At the 1 grand range, there are many options. AV123 and SVS come to mind (HTT sponsors), There's HTD (home theater direct)... in fact:

http://hometheatertalk.com/httalk/v...ghlight=&sid=2fed50a07341ab1dc863a9d2bf05cb3f

I had that bookmarked :)

I'm currently looking for cheap speakers :) I picked up some used off of eBay, and now I need surrounds. Anyway, I did a lot of looking around in the 1K price range, and then decided to go for the $500 range. Don't know anything about the $2K range, that was outside my budget from the beginning.

5. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Michael/Hayes,

That's pretty much what I've been leaning towards. Do you think it makes sense to go with something like an SVS Subwoofer considering I really like watching movies and enjoy the bass effects? Or should I save my money and just get something in the $300-$400 range?

6. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Saurav,

Thanks for the link!

7. Hayes Preston

Hayes Preston New Member

I personally would not skimp on the sub, if you have the $$ for it.

8. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

Troy,

Are you handy with tools or interested in a DIY route? There are several kits available that would allow you to have a completely new 5.1 setup including a kickin' subwoofer under $1000. Even if you don't want to do a full system a great sub can be built for about $300 to $400. If you want the best bass possible have you considered an IB at all? Let me know if you want to come hear my gear sometime and get an idea of how good DIY can be.

-EJ

9. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Unfortunately, my brother inherited all the DIY genes. I'm horrible at that stuff. I don't even own hardly any tools. lol I haven't really followed any of the IB threads so I'm not really familiar with what it is or if it would even work in my home.

I may take you up on your offer at some point, thanks.

10. Zak

Zak Active Member War Zone Member

For under $1000 my favorites Paradigm Studio 40's or save some $$ and buy the Studio 20's. For over $1000 the Totem Arro's or Totem Model 1's are my favorites. I currently have the Totem Rainmakers with a totem dreamcatcher center. Not sure if I like it as much as my old setup of Paradigm Studio 20's all around.

Totems are a bit hard to find but you should be able to find a Paradigm dealer.

11. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

If the system is for movies primarily, I unconditionally recommend anything in Phase Technology's Velocity line. You cannot go wrong. I know Shane Martin has a PT setup as well.

12. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Troy, I have a Def Tech. PS 1500 (15") that will be going away when I get my IB built. It would need an amp as it's internal one died a while back and I replaced it with an outboard one that will drive the IB. The speaker itself is fine. Your'e not that far away. For sale cheap. And I have the dead amp if you know someone who might try fixing it. PM me if you wish.

13. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

The Rocket line up at AV 123 is an excellent sounding great costing option that really is very pretty as well

The X series from AV 123 I saw some of the bookshelfs at Mikes and it is just amazing they can sell these for these prices. This are the steal of the century if you don't want to get something quite as nice as the rockets

As you have likely seen I have put my money where my mouth is and after previously have a Rocket system have just gotten another Rocket setup featuring the 850 mains, the 200 center and the 250's for surrounds.

I honestly think 250's all the way around would be cool too for an HT mainly system, but I wanted the 850's for stereo music playback.

Max

14. cjd

cjd New Member

What a crazy world. I hated these. Made my ears cry out in pain.

Which really goes to show just how difficult it IS to open a random "recommend me speakers" thread. :)

Generally, I would say, get out and listen. Remember that the ear likes familiarity so often something with more even response (not just FR, but power response, etc.) can sound worse than something that is peaky and such.

You're really the only one that will be able to answer the question "new speakers or new sub"

C

15. Zak

Zak Active Member War Zone Member

It is a crazy world. I tend to not like "bright" speakers but loved their Studio line as well as the Atoms. Count not stand the rest of the "performance" or whatver line it was called. The Paradigms have amazing detail and clarity. I did not find them fatiguing whatsoever. The Totems though are much warmer, with an amazing soundstage. A bit hard to drive though and really only truely "sing" at or above reference level.

16. cjd

cjd New Member

Zak, my guess is you are sensitive to the common peaks in the upper midrange that are inadequately damped (1.5-3kHz) rather than high frequency breakup or peaking (above 10kHz). So many commercial systems take midrange drivers well into breakup land, and unless you have a really floppy coned midrange that inherently damps signal (including distortion and signal) in this range it can really be grating. Paradigm happens to use one of the floppiest cones I've ever met in their midrange driver...

:)

I happen to know I am very sensitive to high frequency problems (even above 20kHz). Perhaps unusual in this respect, but we only get one set of ears and no choice in the matter.

Harshness usually comes from midrange. "Air" comes from the 10kHz and up range as well as some specific detail information (like fingers moving on wound guitar strings, which have a solid high frequency component). :)

C

17. Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright New Member

I'll recommend Definitive Technologies. They are known for their Bipolar speakers, but their Pro Monitor series as well as the Mythos line are very sweet sounding

18. Greg W

Greg W New Member

AV123 recommendation ++

19. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Thanks for all the input guys. I have this feeling I'm going to attempt doing an IB. I've got the perfect setup for it with the attic and everything....just a matter of actually figuring out how the heck to do it. If I don't go that route though, you've all definitely given me some things to check out.

20. Steve L.

Steve L. New Member

ditto, but the world is about variety.