1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Speaker Shopping Time, Again.

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Guest, May 14, 2007.

1. I have decided to once again look into replacing my aged but beloved Mirages and need some help since I haven't auditioned or looked for speakers for awhile.

My max budget for the primary front two speakers is $4K for the pair. However, I also will need to buy an additional 3 speakers to use for the center, and R/L surrounds in a 5.1 system which will be used both for movies AND multichannel music. My total budget for all 5 speakers is $6K max.

In the past, the cheapest favorite speakers which I liked better than my Mirages were the Vandys with a pair of Model 5s, a VCC1 and a pair of 2Cs. Of course, that costs more than $6K... so I looked into some DIY and privately built models too... but ended up still with my Mirages.

Now that some time has passed since I last looked, what would you all consider for me now within my budget and speaker preferences?

Thanks for your help!

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

3. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

CJ, you should post their slogan as well: "We will sell no speaker before its time."

8)

4. CJ

:?:

5. CJ,

I know I should remember what they are... but I am too lazy to look at your site... They are Gallos, right?
    I used to know a guy here in Houston who could buy them at cost and sold them as a non-dealer, without warrenty, for very cheap compared to MSRP. Maybe I need to look him up again for a demo.

Thanks for the suggestion!

6. CJ

Yep, the mains are Gallo Ref 3.1s (what I have for stereo) and the other guy is a Ref A/V. They make a Ref Center that has the tweeter oriented in the other direction for horizontal placement. $3k for the mains, $1200 a piece for the others, so a 5.0 system would run you a little over $6k MSRP.

7. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

"We will sell no wine before its time" was the slogan for Paul Masson jug wine when they used to do TV commercials. I was making a lame attempt at comparing your beautiful speakers to Gallo wine because of the brand name. Sorry, I've been on the phone all morning and my brain is spinning. ")

8. CJ

Oh, I was just not familiar with the slogan so I ruined the joke. It would have been funny if I'd gotten it.

9. As a recovering wino(some might say whino), I got your joke David and appreciated it. :)

10. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Merc, have you heard the 3A Sigs? A set-up of 3A Sigs, 2C Sigs and a VCC-2 would be just over your budget. Drop down to a VCC-1 and you're just under. If you buy used you could get well under your budget.

11. Yes, I like the 3A's very much but would want to use my sub for everyday stereo music listening with them, and I wanted to avoid that. I think I just lust after the Model 5a's..... while the 3A's would make for a very nice everyday wife. I'd guess that these speaker will be my last here on earth, so, I want to shoot as high as I can go.

Still, I think Dre had the 3a's with matching stereo Vandy subs, and he thought they sounded almost identical to 5a's?

12. Yes, I like the 3A's very much but would want to use my sub for everyday stereo music listening with them, and I wanted to avoid that. I think I just lust after the Model 5a's..... while the 3A's would make for a very nice everyday wife. I'd guess that these speaker will be my last here on earth, so, I want to shoot as high as I can go.

Still, I think Dre had the 3a's with matching stereo Vandy subs, and he thought they sounded almost identical to 5a's?

13. CJ

You're no newbie, but basically you need to narrow down your list and then go listen. If you listen to your mirages without a sub I'd be surprised if you wanted one with the 3As or Gallos. You're talking about a matter of maybe 1/4 octave and once you get "in room" all bets are off. I really don't NEED a sub with my gallos and my room is huge. The sub just fills in the very bottom stuff, I have it crossed over at 35hz.

14. CJ

You're no newbie, but basically you need to narrow down your list and then go listen. If you listen to your mirages without a sub I'd be surprised if you wanted one with the 3As or Gallos. You're talking about a matter of maybe 1/4 octave and once you get "in room" all bets are off. I really don't NEED a sub with my gallos and my room is huge. The sub just fills in the very bottom stuff, I have it crossed over at 35hz.

15. Chris White

Chris White New Member

merc - So does this mean that, all else equal, you would prefer to have full-range mains?

16. Chris White

Chris White New Member

merc - So does this mean that, all else equal, you would prefer to have full-range mains?

17. Yes Chris... most times, we listen to only stereo sources and as the fossil that I am, I don't like extra processing to seperate a sub channel if I don't have to do so.

18. Yes Chris... most times, we listen to only stereo sources and as the fossil that I am, I don't like extra processing to seperate a sub channel if I don't have to do so.

19. Shane

Shane Active Member

20. Shane

Shane Active Member