1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Squeezebox or Roku?

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Denton, May 20, 2007.

1. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

I'm ready to take the plunge. I want to be able to use my external DAC with the device. I do not download DRM files. I have large numbers of good quality MP3's and a growing collection of FLAC files. What do you recommend? What should I avoid? I'm concerned about reliability with the Roku brand.

Is Squeezebox only sold factory direct?

Thanks for any help. :)

2. Tom R S 4

Tom R S 4 New Member War Zone Member

I have 2 Squeezeboxes, and I'm pretty sure they are only sold factory direct. There was a reason why I chose Squeezebox over Roku, but right now I don't remember what it was. :oops: I'm not aware of any sonic reasons to choose one over the other, though.

3. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

They both function pretty much the same, but I also chose the Squeezebox. In my case it was because they have a much easier to read display. I also use one as a clock when it's idle. Nice florescent display that can be read from across the room.

4. cjd

cjd New Member

So, Squeezebox has better wireless network security support from what I remember.

Slim Devices also turned around and put in some features to help Artie use his, and in only a few weeks time too if I remember right. That alone is enough argument for me. :) I do not yet own one (and I will), but have not even looked at Roku since.

C

5. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Well, I can only hope that the Roku Soundbridge is better quality than the Roko Photobridge. My Photobridge died, I had to pay for a repair out of warranty, then it died again in less than a year. Rather than even waste money on shipping the thing back, I applied that towards an Apple TV. Now my photo library, tunes, and videos integrate seamlessly and display upconverted to 1080i.

While it does not have a display, I use an Airport Express to feed an iPod clock radio for tune access.

Anyway, Roku reliability alone would tend to make me look at Squeezebox instead.

- Steve

6. Erik

Erik Member War Zone Member

I also own a squeezebox thanks to HTT. I went with the squeezebox because it supported WPA, and it also has native FLAC support. I think the roku has been upgraded to support WPA though.

7. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

The ROKU is actually more flexible than the Squeezebox from everything I've read (does DRM'd files etc.) but its more user work to get it going. If you're not tech savvy, go with the Squeezebox, it looks more monkey proof (no insult intended).

8. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

As noted in my original post, DRM files are nothing to me, and I'm not intimidated by technical issues. But I am bothered by the number of people who have reported reliability problems with the Roku. Really a shame; I could go Roku using credit card reward points. I'll have to use actual money on the Squeezebox.

9. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Denton, as I recall Mike Knapp has reported no issues with his Roku.

10. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I don't know anyone who's had Soundbridge problems, its all been photobridge. But if you're worried, get a Squeezebox, it doesn't matter to me naturally. The cost difference isn't that great and the squeezeboxes do have a larger display.

11. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Right, the Soundbridge does appear to be a different animal than the Photobridge.

- Steve

12. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

Like Chris said, I was unable to access Pandora on my own, the remote had to be used. I asked them if I was missing something and if it could actually be done. They said no, but that they would include it in their next firmware update. And they did it! They have a loyal customer here. Slimdevices with the Squeezebox that is.

13. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member Top Poster

I've only played with the Squeezebox once but I've owned a few Soundbridges and use an M1000 daily to stream music to my livingroom's inwall speakers. The newer Soundbridges (M1001) have better wireless support (WPA etc) and the software now supports iTunes 7 which makes things easy. I can't complain about problems as I haven't had any with the M1000 or the older M500 I had previously.