1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Stranger than fiction

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by hgroff, Jun 7, 2007.

1. hgroff

hgroff New Member

I watched this movie last night from netflixs, and was not expecting much. Will Farrell's humor has never been one of my favorites, but last night I was pleasantly surprised. This was a great movie. I can highly recommend this movie, sort of along the lines of its a wonderful life or that type of feel good / tear jerk movie. Worth a watch....

4 out of 5

2. Chris White

Chris White New Member

I got a good chuckle out of Hoffman's office. Have any movie producers ever seen the office of a college professor?

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

They have, but from the one's I've seen, you can't get a movie camera in there, much less lights, more than 1 person, etc. ;) ;)

4. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

The ones I remember were much smaller and missing windows.

5. Sometimes I like Will and sometimes I don't. I have been passing this one on the rental racks not sure if I will like it. One of these times I'll give it a try.

6. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

I really don't care for Will at all, but gave this a shot. If he made more movies where he showed his real acting ability, like this one, he would be amongst my favorites. Really good movie, worth a watch, and probably a re-watch.

7. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

George, this is easily he best effort, ever.

8. You convinced me, guys. I'll give it a rent.

9. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom New Member

Not really a straight up comedy though. It's not as light and fluffy as it was made out to be by the spin. Decent film though. Will was pretty good for a change.

10. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

Definitely try this. This was my "Wow, he can act" movie for Will Ferrell. It's nothing like his slapstick comedies.

11. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I enjoy Will in both silly movies as well as his more "serious" movies. Winter Passing was a pretty decent Ferrell flick as well. A bit odd but enjoyable in a dark depressing way. Stranger than Fiction felt like a more dramatic take on Dharma and Greg to me. I always loved watching D&G and will watch StF a few more times.

I have never paid much attention to Maggie Gyllenhaal until recently. I saw Sherry Baby and while it was not the best film ever, I liked her a lot. Since then I have see a few of her other movies and look forward to many more. Looks like she is going to be in The Dark Knight.

12. Tyson

Tyson New Member

He was good in that one. Good movie, too. I enjoyed it.

13. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

I saw this film last night and really enjoyed it. It used a very clever plot device to address a serious philosophical issue.

Regarding Will Farrell's performance, I will say the following. When I saw Jim Carrey in "The Truman Show" I realized that he did indeed have some acting ability, an opinion reinforced by "Eternal Sunshine..." While Farrell's role in Stranger than Fiction" obviously differed from his usual fare in not being slapstick, I was quite unimpressed with his handling of it and in fact, considered him the film's weakest link. This is not to say that I hated him - - he did an adequate job - - but I can't help but feel that almost any decent actor could have gotten far more out of the role than he did. But despite this, I really did enjoy the film, and am appreciative to those who recommended it.

Larry

14. Chris White

Chris White New Member

I agree. He can act. That doesn't make him DeNiro. :)

15. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

If you're not put off by non-standard sexuality (in this case, mild BDSM), check out 'Secretary'.

16. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

The Secretary was H-O-T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

If you like Maggie Gyllenhall, check out Sherrybaby as well.

18. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Will do. Thanks.

19. Shane

Shane Active Member

I saw this last night. I liked it a bunch. I think this is Will Farrell's "Truman Show". A serious role. The comedy was very light. I don't know if I'd rewatch it again but I can recommend this to anyone..even those that don't like Will Farrell.

It's very quirky and I enjoyed it a great deal.

20. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart New Member

I thought he reinforced it in The Majestic well before Eternal Sunshine.