1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

SVS Ultra 13 Grill Options

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Max Yokell, May 16, 2007.

?

NEW SVS Ultra 13 Grill Options

1. Perforated Curved Grill (1st picture)

100.0%
  2. Low Profile Cloth Grill Option (2nd Picture)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

[​IMG]
    Perforated Curved Grill Option

[​IMG]
    Low Profile Fabric Grill Option

OK so I just ordered 2 of these babies in Rosenut, then they send an e-mail asking which grill option I want...

Both are held on by Magnets not studs.

So just for Fun I will put it to a poll and then I will let you know which way I went.

2. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

I don't really care for the opening at top and bottom of the hard grille. It is unique though.

3. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I voted for the soft grill. Looks cleaner and classier to me.

4. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I'd pick the top just because it is a little different. I'd probably have the grill off anyway. But to me the bottom is so just like every other sub. OR course I'd be happy as heck with either.

5. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

I like the grill. I like being able to see the drivers. Less important, but the grill looks a little more pet friendly.

-John

6. cjd

cjd New Member

If it's kids or pets you're worrying about, metal.

If it's looks, whatever floats your boat. :)

7. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Max, is this going in a dedicated room?

Either way I'd go metal. Pull them off for the show, protect them when not in use.

8. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Ditto. :)

9. Max Yokell

Yes it will be a dedicated room and it will be a double stack with one sitting right on top of the other. :)

I think I am going to go with the 15hz or maybe the 10hz tuning set up. :)

Max

10. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

I don't care for the look of the metal grille.

11. Shane

Shane Active Member

I'd go grilless myself.

I wouldn't fool around with the 10hz tuning unless you don't have a big room and have 2. Keep in mind there are only less than a handful of films with <15 hz bass.

12. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I'm surprised the ghey cloth is so far ahead in the poll.

13. Max Yokell

Shane,
    I did order two of them that was what I meant by a double stack, like a burger I am going to use Patty on Patty technology except in this case it will be Ultra and Ultra technology. Tom V says to just put a piece of carpet foam between them.

The room is 19' x 29' x 9' so it is a pretty good size room. I have mostly been thinking I would set them up in a 15hz tuning arrangement. Tom says that corner loaded, which they will b, the 20hz tuning should get decent response down to 15hz.

I am really expecting monster bass from this two.

OK now I guess everyone who wanted to vote will have done so by now....

I took the easy way out and ordered them with Both so I can play and see which looks best in real life to me and then I will do whatever the wife says. :) Just Kidding I will do which one I want. :)

I can't wait for the end of July/beginning of Aug should be great times other then having to move. :) Damn I am still thinking about trying to get these 125lb+ beasts up the stairs. :eek:

Max

14. Max Yokell

I should give Tom a Link to here so he could see the response.

Max

15. I prefer the cloth... but, the metal one might be easier to keep clean and better protect the driver from little fingers?

16. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Ordering both grills and seeing what they look like at home is probably the best choice.

Those pictures look like PhotoShop mock-ups, to the final product may look very different.

17. Alfer

Alfer New Member

My thoughts exactly..

18. I like the "equipment look". None of my speakers have the grill covers on. I voted for the metal grill.

All the Best

19. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Plus it will be much easier to carry a current to electrify it like a fence. Now that will keep little fingers away. Yep, go metal Max, you won't regret it.

20. Adil M

Adil M New Member

I don't care for the metal grill.
    Make it an option for extra.