1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

System of the month in HTL Newsletter?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by CJ, May 8, 2017.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I'm going to work on getting the May newsletter out this week. I'm wondering if people are interested in having a system of the month that would involve the owner submitting a photo and a short write up to be included in the newsletter and linked to an accompanying thread. I'm frequently surprised finding out someone owns a piece of gear I never knew or would have guessed.

Is anyone interested? If we can't keep it going for more than a month or two I don't want to bother but if we think it would be fun for the forum overall, its worth exploring.

2. claud

claud Well-Known Member

System??? What kind of system? Just HT or audio too?

3. CJ

Either. Could even be a headphone rig as long as the owner can provide a gear list, small write up, and a photo.

4. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

I'm fine with it or without it. One could also do a sticky under hardware, one for music systems, one for HT and one for headphones. It would be a place where people can see what different members have in case they were interested in knowing more about a particular component.

5. CJ

6. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

As long as you don't hold my photography to your standards :))), I'm fine with it. In rare instances, I do take a good photo. Most of the time, it is something analogous to if I did art work, the fridge and a magnet would be the ideal showcase.;)

7. CJ

I probably won't do it for May because I want to get the newsletter out, unless someone wants to volunteer to send a photo and write up today or tomorrow... Phil?

I would like to see a narrative description of the system, a gear list, and a photo.

E.g.:

This is my primary movie and music system. It is a dedicate room approximately 19x22 with 7 foot ceilings. It has been through several iterations over the years but currently consists of GoldenEar Speakers, an Anthem pre/pro, Sunfire amp, and Power Sound Audio Subwoofer. My main source is an Apple TV 4th Generation.

GoldenEar Triton One L/R
    GoldenEar SuperCenter XXL
    GoldenEar Aon 2 Side and Rear Surrounds
    Power Sound Audio V1500 Subwoofer
    Apple TV 4th Gen.
    Sharp LC70LE847U (70")
    Anthem AVM-60
    Sunfire Theater Grand Amplifier - TGA-7401
    Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5030UB
    Vapex 110" Tab Tensioned Screen

Photo

And then I would format it, include it in the newsletter and post it to a running thread.

8. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

CJ - I'll try to get it done tomorrow. I have to take a photo anyway as I've just changed a few things in the main system (some of out of necessity it due to lightning damage) and then I'll be able to write something up. Feel free to edit it if it contains more than is appropriate.

9. CJ

Awesome! I really appreciate it.

10. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

CJ - will post a few picks (took 5 - will post 3 and may need to adjust the resolution to get it to fit - use whatever you want - I did warn of my photography skills:)). Feel free to edit the text as well.

This is my primary music system and overall my best home theater system. It is a dedicated room approximately 16x18 feet with 10 foot ceilings (plus a quad tray ceiling that is another foot) that opens into other spaces. It has been through several iterations over the years but currently consists of Thiel CS 3.7 speakers, dual Rel Storm III subs for music, a Modwright LS36.5 DM preamp and a Modwright KWA150 SE amp. The main sources are a Lumin U1 digital music server (fed by a Synology DS716+ NAS) with a EMM Labs DAC 2X (version 2), an Onkyo TX-RZ3100 receiver (using 11 channels) and an Oppo BDP-103D. The equipment sits on an Odyssey Audio Massiv Rack (about 350 lbs. net weight) which was designed to my specs.

Thiel CS 3.7s main speakers
    Thiel MCS1 center channel
    Thiel SCS2 side and rear surrounds
    Thiel MCS1 center channel
    Thiel SCS2 side and rear surrounds
    Thiel Power Point Height Channels
    Axiom Audio in-ceiling rear Atmos speakers
    Rel Storm III subwoofers for music
    Power Sound Audio S1500 subwoofer for movies
    Onkyo TX-RZ3100 receiver
    Modwright LS36.5 DM preamp
    Modwright KWA150 SE amplifier
    Lumin U1 digital music server
    EMM Labs DAC 2X (version 2)
    Torus RM-20 power conditioner
    Roku 3 movie streamer
    Samsung DTB-H260F TV tuner
    Epson Home Cinema 5030UB projector
    Stewart 100 inch Grayhawk screen
    Odyssey Audio Massiv rack

11. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

First image
    Main Sys5 May 2017.JPG

12. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

second image
    Main Sys4 May 2017.JPG

13. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

Main Sys1 May 2017.JPG third

14. CJ

Awesome!. I'll split this off into a new thread and link to that in the newsletter but will also include the system list and one photo. Really appreciate this.

15. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

CJ - any time - no problem

16. CJ

Big thanks to Phil for kicking this off. I'm looking for an entry for the June newsletter. Who wants to step up?

17. CJ

Anyone? I'd really like to keep this going. Take a look at the rolling thread for a template and let me know if you're interested (Home Theater Lounge System of the Month) I'd like to get the newsletter out this week.

18. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

CJ - if you don't get anyone this go around, I can do system number two. Maybe the thing to do is ask those interested in future months all at once so you get an idea whether you have a few more in the pipeline (or none or lots, etc.).

19. CJ

That's a great idea. I'd be happy with one person signing up for June but we could do a forward looking sign-up sheet so to speak.

20. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

CJ - just let me know if you want my second system for the next month since your time frame is this week. I could do that tomorrow and even if you get another system, you can always keep it for next month or the month after.