Teppan Steak

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Mike B, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

My wife does not care for beef much. I guess because her grandparents owned a cattle ranch and they just had it too much. Also because her mother used to cook it so it was grey all the way through - :(

So we get creative in this area and get porterhouse with a strip for me and the filet for her (which I still have to help with) or a burger (she still likes burgers) or something to that end.

Last time at the store I found a 2 pack of well marbelled strips and we cut hers in half (obvious reasons) and I was going to use the little piece for a "breakfast steak", a little steak and eggs ya know, only it didn't end up that way.

I cubed it up and fried the cubes in garlic butter with a little salt & pepper sans the show and voila', really tasty medium rare "Benihana" steak. Just until the red was gone from the sides and just a little brown starting. The cubes plumped up nicely and it was a quite good teppan style steak in the frying pan at home.

Yum - :D

2. chad

chad Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Sounds really good Mike, I may have to try that. What did you serve it with?

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

A fork.

4. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Sticks - :D

Just ate it by itself, was a snack. It was going to be breakfast, but plans were altered and I didn't want it hanging out in the fridge too long after I thawed it. It was fresh last weekend and I froze the half we didn't use then.

Didn't want to fire the grill for such a puny piece and then thought about broiling inside, but that would have meant running the oven at the same time as the central air which makes as much sense as leaving the windows open, so hit upon the teppan idea and I will do this again.

Very impressed with the results - :D

5. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

Just make sure you have a decent hood vent. :)

Personally I am a Rib Steak fan, with the cap being the best part. Strip is second for me, and I am not a fan of the filet (no fat? no flavor!)

I am also a huge fan of skirt steak marinated and charred on the outside while dripping red in the middle. Very intense beef flavor, good texture.

For winter, braised short-ribs finished with demi-glace is tops. I find the cheaper cuts that require braising are often the tastiest part of the cow.

Graeme