1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

The Fountain

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Ron-P, May 15, 2007.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Just watched the Blu-ray tonight and wow, what a fantastic film. Although, it's going to take another viewing at least to grasp this thing, a very different film no doubt and overwhelming for the first time but very well done.

2. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Cool Ron, I have been looking forward to this one.

3. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I'm a little shocked that you dug a flick like this...glad it worked for ya..

The following review was close to the way I felt when I saw the trailer at the theater:

"Advance word of mouth sold The Fountain as a dense, pompous, plodding existential muddle. And it is.."

4. Chris White

Chris White New Member

It sounds interesting to me. It's in my queue.

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

ditto.

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Comments like this are completely worthless.

7. Alfer

Alfer New Member

However the reviewer who wrote that pretty much summed up my thoughts on the movie when I saw the trailer...the movie holds zero point zero for me...YMMV.

8. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Sounds interesting. From the guy who did Requiem for a Dream, too, so you know it's going to be different and not for all tastes. Usually those types of movies illicit those type of critic blurbs. Sometimes they are right and sometimes not.

I just checked Netflix and my wife had put it in our queue. Should be there when I get home today.

9. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

In general the critics considered it a bomb but most agreed that it was a glorious bomb... Sounds like my kind of flick! I actually wanted to catch it in the theater but I missed out... looking forward to spinning the disc soon.

Ron - I'm not surprised you enjoyed it. IMHO - You seemed to be drawn to film that have a strong "love theme" ("Phantom of the Opera", "Moulin Rouge", etc.) no matter the genre.

-EJ

10. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

The Fountain is highly recommended. You must be ready to think. It is NOT a popcorn flick by any stretch.

11. Shane

Shane Active Member

I am a little surprised Ron liked it but I am also looking forward to this. I'm not ready to buy it though.

Even if it's a bomb, traditionally movies that make you think aren't a critical success.

12. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I'd say they aren't a COMMERCIAL success. I don't see a real correlation to being a critical success because its all over the map IME.

13. Chris Slade

Chris Slade Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I'll be interested to hear more opinions on the movie, after more people have seen it. I thought it was okay but not great. Sort of in between a pint of warm beer (which is better than no beer) and a glass of warm poop juice.

14. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Eww, gross.

I thought the movie was very good--and worth watching a second time to try to figure the story out.

Any opinions on the year 2500 storyline? Was that Chapter 12?

- Steve

15. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I wish I could answer that Steve but not until I see this a second time. I've got a moive night with the neighbors Saturday, we're watching this. Them for the first time, should be fun.

16. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

I watched this last night. It didn't do much for me.

This was a milestone for me. My first HD-DVD blind buy that I probably won't re-watch.

-John

17. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Active Member

just ordered the HD-DVD yesterday (didn't even know it was out!)- I'll report back when I watch it during the week...

-Dennis

18. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Curious...Why blow $25-35 on a blind buy vs. renting..especially knowing it's been universally panned by most who saw it...?

I can see doin a blind buy if it was in the $5.99 bargain bin but near full HD-DVD retail...ouch.

19. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Active Member

It's my kind of film- but it wasn't a "snap decision" by any means. I've decided that based on what the filmmaker has done before, my research about the making of the film, the subject matter, the cast (I love Weisz, my wife can't get enough of Wolverine), and the fact that I loved hard sci-fi films like "Solaris" and "2001"- make this a blind-buy candidate.

I don't buy that many DVD's (compared to the hard core collectors)- and I haven't been this intrigued by any film since the Solaris update (which I liked a lot more than I thought I would based on my fanboy view of the original).

And remember- you decided that it was a turd just from the trailer! :p

-Dennis

20. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I do it quite often, why, because I can, and, it's still cheaper then if my wife and I went to the theater to see it.