1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

The Guardian

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by LarryB, May 16, 2007.

1. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

This is a story of an aging top-notch Coast Guard rescue swimmer (played by Kevin Costner), and the young up-start rookie (Ashton Kutcher in a typical Tom Cruise role). The storyline is as predictable as the sun rising in the east but all-in-all, it was a decent movie, with reasonable performances.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Stunned that you thought this was decent. I may have to check it out.

3. Eric

Eric Active Member

I actually really enjoyed this movie. Kevin Costner in his usual role, which I like. Thought I'd hate it because of the Ashton Kutcher influence, but even his performance was pretty good. Like Larry said, predictable as the rising sun, but enjoyable none the less.

4. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

CJ:

I knew nothing about the movie and am not even sure how it ended up on my Netflix Queue; had I known anything about it, I probably would not have ordered it.

While it is a film that will soon be forgotten, it was reasonably entertaining. Odd as it may seem, I like Costner -- except when he directs.

Larry

5. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

I have to admit I also enjoyed it more than I expected. Larry maybe you like it so much because it was similar to your all time favorite: "Top Gun" :D

-EJ

6. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

I've heard this from others as well....that it's not your typical Costner turd and that Kutcher is actually very good in it. I've passed it many times...but hey...if Larry liked it... ;)

JL

7. Shane

Shane Active Member

I thought it was utter trash personally.

8. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I really enjoyed it. The BRD is quite impressive as well.

9. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

What Ron said.

10. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Larry: happy to read you enjoyed it. But, these two "actors":

will most likely keep it out of our house. :)

11. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

David, make no mistake, this movie is pure fluff. It was simply better-than-average fluff, though corny and predictable as all get-out. You would be wasting $4 if you rented it.

12. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

I should add that I was in an emotionally labile mood when I saw it (my father is having health problems), and this no doubt made it more appealing to me.

13. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

What Ron and Dan said! :D

Oh and I don't think you'd be wasting money by renting it, it is as Larry said pure fluff and predictable but it was very good at that. And hey, if I ruled out every fluff/predictable movie on the shelves, there wouldn't be much to watch.

14. Randy Anderson

Randy Anderson New Member

I hacked your Netflix queue. Save some time this weekend as there is a special surprise coming (TC in the house) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I didn't enjoy The Guardian as much as Officer and a Gentlemen, which had the same themes. In addition, it was pretty long, or maybe it just seemed that way.

15. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

LOL!!!!! :) :)

For whatever reason, I detested AOAAG.

16. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

re: detesting AOAAG. Debra Winger. 'Nuff said. ;)

17. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Bingo! She bugs the living sh*t out of me. Always did and always will, the one exception being "Sheltering Sky."

18. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

I think the love interest for Ashton Kutcher is waaaaay better than Winger any day.