1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

The Kingdom (Trailer #2)

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Ron-P, May 26, 2007.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/thekingdom/hd/

This looks to be a fairly impressive, intense and emotional film. Great cast, other then Foxx, and quite a different type of roll for Garner, add to that some good action sequences and a decent storyline, a solid rental for sure.

2. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane New Member

If you watch the 6:00 pm news you can see the movie now.

3. Shane

Shane Active Member

If they spin it then I'll be quite disgusted because the movie looks pretty good to me right now.

4. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Jamie Foxx is a really good actor, Ron. Sorry if you don't like him. This looks like a decent Michael Mann thriller, with a risky, timely subject. Should be good.

5. Shane

Shane Active Member

Surprisingly Peter Berg is directing this. I figured Mann, Edward Zwick, Sydney Pollack or someone of their ilk is doing it.

6. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Really! Interesting. I thought I saw Mann's name in the trailer, but maybe he was the producer? I will have to go check IMDB.

7. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Can't agree with ya on that David.

8. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

Mann is a producer on this.

-EJ

9. Shane

Shane Active Member

Quick warning: If you do not like shaky camera, avoid this!

It might not be a Mann film but it felt like it. Talk about tense! It's in no way political(surprising). They stick to the story and facts surrounding it.

The movie lasted 1 hr 50 minutes and felt like it was about that. I never dragged on.

I really really really really enjoyed it. I thought Jason Bateman was a bit out of place but otherwise the "team" was great. Jennifer Garner is finally in a role where it fits here. She not in a comic book movie she didn't want to do and she isn't in a romantic comedy(yay). Foxx and Chris Cooper play their roles excellent! The Saudi who swore to protect them was also excellent.

If you like to escape from real life, this movie isn't it. The action is intense(think Heat). The story is intriguing and the end result is a very good movie. It should satisfy almost everyone.

I give it a solid 8.5 out of 10. I'll buy this.

Given the blown out feel of the film, it'll likely make an excellent HD DVD.

10. Definitely on my buy list.

11. Shane

Shane Active Member

12. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Any word why? Space issues?

13. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

HD-DVD suxs. :D

14. Shane

Shane Active Member

No word. It was a total shock. I saw the review thread at AVS and others were perplexed as well.

We could say it was a space issue and I bet by tomorrow our thread here is 2x as long as the AVS one :)

15. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

The audio track is Dolby Digital Plus, which is not lossless but of very high bitrate. Is that correct?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2007
  16. Shane

Shane Active Member

It's DD+ and likely high bit rate. Knowing Universal, I'm sure it is.

Warner, on other hand, doesn't utilize the full bit rate of DD+.

17. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Nothing new here. Just seems to be what HD-DVD is about. I was planning a blind buy, now maybe a rental.

18. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Yeah, they like to bitch... that's why I come here :lol:

19. Shane

Shane Active Member

Watched it again this afternoon once I got home, I'll discuss the movie in the movie thread but the audio video was just ok.

20. Shane

Shane Active Member

I bought this as part of the b2g1 free sale at BB today and watched it again. The movie is still just like watching the 6:00pm news but way less political. The movie moves along at almost too brisk pace upon my 2nd viewing.

I still enjoyed it, Berg and Mann did an impressive job.

The HD DVD A/V is merely ok. The audio (1.5mbps dd+) was quite subdued. Whether that's the fact it's not a lossless track is a who knows situation. I remember the audio in the theater being a bit more robust but that's memory..

Video wise it's not going to be a show off disc. The video has a distinct look to it.

The reviewers at HTspot seem to agree as well.

Now onto the extras.