1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

The Last Starfighter and discussion of kids movies

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by CJ, May 29, 2007.

Tags:
  1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

The Last Starfighter is a childhood favorite of mine. I'll be curious how it holds up on HD as the effects are a little jarring even on DVD. The CGI graphics were rendered on a Cary Super Computer and there is a neat little featurette on the current DVD.

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Ah yes...Last Star Fighter...one of the many silly 80's sci-fi flix I went to see back in the day....sadly I doubt it would have the same silly appeal it did back then.

3. CJ

Don't know. You were much older in 1984 than I was. I think the basic story is great and universally appealing (that something mundane you do could lead to fame etc. and that that something mundane is a video game definitely appeals to kids even more). Its pure escapism in my mind. This movie goes side by side with The Goonies, Tron and The Princess Bride as far as my childhood goes and I still love them all to this day.

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

True...you were probably still singing along to Sesame Street and wearing feety pajama's back in '84.

:)

5. CJ

Perhaps, not that that's a big indicator though since I still do one of those almost daily :D

6. Alfer

Alfer New Member

:lol: :lol:

Yes I'm sure you're knee deep in kids shows and movies now...

So what are the fav's around your house?

(p.s. Sorry for deviating said thread)

:)

7. CJ

I'll split this off after I finish this post. Sesame Street is a big hit but we made the mistake of hyping up the Abby Cadabby episode when they were advertising announcing that character and now she wants to watch that one all the time. For movies her favorite is definitely Toy Story 2 but she'll actually watch about anything once. You can tell if she's not digging it though. Like I think she was pretty eh about Over The Hedge. She's also doing a little live action like Charlotte's Web. I have A Night at the Museum too but she hasn't seen it yet and I'm not sure if she'll be scared by any of the stuff that comes to life or not.

8. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

I also got a kick out of The Last Starfighter...it was a popcorn movie...I'd watch it again and still be entertained.

JL

9. John F

John F Active Member War Zone Member

Is Cary Audio Design a spin off company of Cary Super Computers? :D

I also liked the Last Start Fighter when it came out. I saw it recently on TV, and (for me) it didn't hold up too well.

-John

10. CJ

Sorry, Cray.

11. Shane

Shane Active Member

I'll buy it when it hits HD/BR along with the other 80's movies like that such as:

Flight of the Navigator
    Starman
    Tron
    War Games

12. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

I loved "The Last Starfighter". I saw it in the theater 3 times and had the 3'x5' movie poster (back when posters were big) in my bedroom for years. I still have the poster unfortunately it has lots of holes in it from ninja stars! Is it actually scheduled for HD release? Goonies is another fav. I'm waiting to show it to my kids the language isn't so great.

My kids loved "Night at the Museum". They also like "The Borrowers" which I found for them a while ago.

-EJ

13. Stefan

Stefan New Member War Zone Member

Great movie. And I was reminded of it last night as I watched Jaws 3 which had the same main actor.

Stefan

14. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

I still have my copies of the Marvel four issue limited series of The Last Starfighter.