The Matador

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by CJ, Jun 25, 2007.

1. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I just watched this (in HD-DVD which was quite good but not quite 5 star if anyone is curious). The movie just struck a chord with me, I was entertained, found the plot amusing, liked the characters and the twists along the way and had fun. It was a nice respite from what I've been watching. Check it out if you like that bad ass with a heart of gold type character/plot.

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

The 1988 or 2005 version?

3. Shane

Shane Active Member

The 2005 version is the only one that exists. It was not a remake.

I simply loved this film. It's quirky but enjoyably so. I avoided the HD DVD version as they were having issues with the pressings on Weinstein releases.

4. Alfer

Alfer New Member

5. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

I enjoyed this when I watched it a while back. It's a bit overly harsh at times but fun overall.

6. Shane

Shane Active Member

Alfer,
    That was a completely different Film.
    We're talking about THE Matador rather than "matador". IMDB backs that up.

7. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Oh I know...but when CJ first posted it I found two films name Matador on Yahoo movies so I wanted to confirm.....not arguing the validity.

8. Allen

Allen New Member War Zone Member

I almost always like Greg Kinnear, and it's fun seeing Pierce Brosnan play against type.

9. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

LOL there are some awesome, but crass lines in this film. Check out the IMDB quotes section.

10. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

I keep a list of quotes that really amuse me in my Palm and this movie got a couple in. I'll look when I get home to see what they were.

11. Chris White

Chris White New Member

I remember liking this film a lot. Brosnan is surprisingly funny.

12. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

All of Brosnan's (sp?) sexual lines/analogies rock and I chuckled at the scene where the wife is dropping the F-bomb every other word and essentially challenges her husband to think of a more appropriate situation to be using that language. If not now, when?!

13. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Here's a couple I really liked.

"I'm as serious as an erection problem."

and

"I'd only be interested in your mother if she lost 20 pounds and 30 years."

14. Allen

Allen New Member War Zone Member

worthwhile quotes:

Julian Noble: Margaritas always taste better in Mexico.
    Danny Wright: They certainly do.
    Julian Noble: Margaritas and cock.

Julian Noble: I'm as serious as an erection problem.

Julian Noble: Sorry about the cock thing, it's kind of a conversation stopper.

[trying to convince Danny to help him on a hit]
    Julian Noble: Come on! It'll be a good time!
    Danny Wright: Oh, so now killing people is a good time?
    Julian Noble: ...Can be.

Julian Noble: I look like a Bangkok hooker on a Sunday morning, after the navy's left town.

Julian Noble: I wouldn't do that for all the teenage twat in Thailand.

Genevive: Mr. Noble, how are you today?
    Julian Noble: More importantly, how are you...
    [looks at nametag]
    Julian Noble: ...Genevive?

Julian Noble: An assassin without confidence is a horrible thing to behold. It's like a relief pitcher who fumbles the ball.
    Danny Wright: Please tell me you know you mixed two sports in a metaphor.
    Julian Noble: Huh? Yeah, I can't do that.

Julian Noble: I want to retire to a beautiful little Greek island, filled with beautiful little Greeks!

Julian Noble: I'd only be interested in your mother if she lost 20 pounds and 30 years.

Julian Noble: My handler, Mr. Randy, contacted me the way he always does, through an ad in the International Tribune looking for cat sitters in Bali.

Julian Noble: I lie when I need to, tell the truth when I can.

Bean: Aren't we fucking cosmopolitan? Having a trained assassin stay overnight. Letting heartbreaking lies roll over us like a summer breeze.

Mr. Randy: Did you study the assignment?
    Julian Noble: No, I shredded it. Then I humped the bellboy on the room service cart.

Hotel Bartender 1: How you here for business or pleasure, sir?
    Julian Noble: My business is my pleasure.

Mr. Randy: Goddamn it, Julian, you leave the game, even for a while, I don't know if they'll gonna let you back in. And then what the hell are you gonna do? Waste your days picking up illiterate teenagers for suck-and-fuck sessions behind the Old Navy store?
    Julian Noble: Sounds delightful to me.

Julian Noble: A Vietnamese girl I once knew had her legs so locked together I couldn't get a whiff of her spring roll. Two drinks, half a quaalude later, I was at an all you can eat buffet. Every lock can be broken. It's just a matter of will and whether it's worth it.

15. Ah this is a terrific film. I rewatched my copy a few nights ago and enjoyed it even more than the first time. Brosnan is fast becoming one of my favorite actors.