The new Gallo Reference 5LS Line Array

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by LarryB, Jun 6, 2007.

1. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

front:
    [​IMG]

Rear:

[​IMG]

2. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Hmm. I am not a big fan of line arrays but those look very interesting.

3. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Ditto, and ditto.

4. DYohn

I think the MTMTMTMTMTMTM approach is neat. At least it looks cool. :) It would be interesting to see how they deal with the potential lobing issues...

5. cjd

cjd New Member

potential lobing issues?

I bet they simply ignore them. Though with all the physics rumors flying around, maybe they've convinced physics to take a long walk off a short plank... ;)

Still, definitely interesting.

C

6. DYohn

Yea, perhaps Gallo has found a way to create an area of suspended physics. Isn't that what audiophiles mean by the "sweet spot"? :)

7. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

It's all a matter of balancing priorities.

8. Geof

Geof New Member

:lol:

9. Ed P

Ed P Member

I heard this thing, a poster child for how to do line arrays with maximum comb filtering and response lobes. A sonic mess. It sounding like a small two way in image size with three other two ways in the room at same time.

I was staggered that it even made it out of the designers test mule stage.

10. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Yikes.

11. McNabb05

McNabb05 New Member

I'm not sure what you heard, but it wasn't their 5LS. Were you in the right room? I heard it at CES and that's not remotely what I heard. Anthony Gallo has all the respect in the world from audiophiles (including myself) and this speaker is absolute dynamite. Anyone that's interested, go to Gallo's site (I think it's www.roundsound.com) and read what all the people are saying about the 5LS. I know I want a pair, I just can't afford them.

12. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Opinions will always vary on these types of products, if not, there would be one "perfect" speaker that we'd all own (or at least, only one speaker per price point). But, that's not the case. I'd be very curious to hear them as I own Gallos, but have also not had the best reaction to Line Arrays in general.

13. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Only a fool would own Gallo speakers.

JUST KIDDING!!!!! :)

14. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I must be a fool for hanging out with you.

15. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

A fool, or a glutton for punishment. ;)

16. Steve L.

Steve L. New Member

No w3ay, we always agree.

17. Ed P

Ed P Member

McNabb55 - Yes it was that model, yes it was at CES, and yes it was as I described it. Know Gallos stuff from the Martian Eyeball days, doesn't change the fact that this statement speaker is greatly flawed.

18. Steve L.

Steve L. New Member

Ed P

It comes down to one thing, if he doesn't hear these flaws, then the speaker is a delight.

8)

19. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Well said, Steve.

20. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Ed,
    Can you describe what each of those things sound like? I'm just curious as to what to listen for when I check speakers out.

Thanks!