1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

The Prestige

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Shane, May 22, 2007.

1. Shane

Shane Active Member

I blindly bought Prestige on BR and wanted to post some thoughts on the movie. The PQ/AQ on the BR disc are superb for what that's worth.

Regarding the film, I felt it was a bit slow going but the ending was quite extraordinary. Having watched Deja Vu recently I have had my recent bouts with movies with out there endings but this one was quite out there I felt. Almost a leap of faith like Deja Vu, It still is pretty riveting stuff I felt. I enjoyed almost everyones performances except Scarleet Johannson who really is out of her league here. I think someone like Cate Blanchett would have elevated the film beyond "great but not brilliant".

While the pacing was slow and the movie was what I'd call deliberate, I really enjoyed this.

8 out of 10.

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I liked the Prestiege, bought the BR blind like you Shane, but, of the two, The Illusionist is a much better film, and Jessica did a fantastic job, where Scarleet's was pretty poor.

I'd did not find the pacing slow at all, movie went by rather quickly for me.

3. mark j

mark j New Member

I think both films are good. Each had their flaws but both were entertaining.

4. Stefan

Stefan New Member War Zone Member

It's been a while, but I remember the ending being quite... depressing. Pretty good movie - I thought the trailers made it seem much better. I remember we were all raving about it back on HTT when the trailers came out.

Stefan

5. Chris White

Chris White New Member

I wasn't sure I was ready for another movies about magicians, but this quite enjoyable. Loved the twists at the end. I'm sure you all saw it coming a mile away, but I didn't.

6. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

I loved Prestige...but it's one of those "watch one time" film's for me...it wouldn't have the same effect the second time around. I have yet to see The Illusionist.

JL

7. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

My impressions mirror Jason's. I really liked this but can't envision buying it now that I've seen it.

8. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

I actually thought it was better with repeat viewings. More and more details became evident and actually made it more engaging. But maybe that'a just me.

9. CJ

OK, maybe ONE more viewing a la Usual Suspects, 6th Sense, etc.

10. Shane

Shane Active Member

For me, if it's like Sixth Sense, I'll be viewing this atleast a dozen times.

11. Chris White

Chris White New Member

I can see watching it one more time to see if my interpretation of some scenes changes by knowing the outcome.

12. CJ

Most people re-watched 6th Sense to see if they could catch any mistakes. I think you could do the same here. Not sure if that's what you meant. 6th Sense was pretty water tight.

13. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

I enjoyed "The Prestige" quite a bit. It's really atmospheric which I think is a trait that can be found in most of Chris Nolan's films. I saw it in the theater and haven't done a DVD re-watch yet but I plan to.

-EJ

14. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

This was a blind buy for me, watched it for the first time last night. Found it enjoyable, if not over long by about 20 minutes. Some of the back and forth time cuts were a little hard to follow. The ending was quite a twist. And I would have liked more of the Tesla character. Had I seen it in the theater, I probably would not have bought the disc. But I would have rented it for a second viewing.