1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

The Queen

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Shane, May 26, 2007.

1. Shane

Shane Active Member

The Queen is an interesting story. On one hand it's a story of how the Queen of England handled the Princess Di saga, on the other it feels like a character study of a women that hardly anyone knows other than a monarch.

The early parts made her feel like an outdated scrooge. The later parts of the film start to show her human side.

The film is brilliant IMHO and really is quite interesting to me. We followed the Princess Di stuff on TV when it happened on Labor Day back then.

Every performances from Helen Mirran to James Cromwell to Michael Sheen and more were amazing. I felt like they WERE the characters they were portraying.

For those curious about the Blu Ray picture quality and sound, it's also superb. Disney went with a VC1 encode which is a bit odd for them. It's pretty stunning but not perfect as there were some issues with noise that wasn't intentional. The bitrate seemed rather low even on this 50 gig disc.
    The audio was PCM and quite good. It's a noticable improvement over the DD track. You'd need to be tone deaf to not notice the difference.

I will be buying this disc.

I give it an 9 out of 10.

2. Tyson

Tyson New Member

My little blurb from The List:

Such a great performance by Miranda Richardson and really by everyone else in the movie. I knew I had seen the actor playing Prime Minister Tony Blair (played by Michael Sheen). He plays one of the bad guys (Lucian) in the Underworld movies.

I'll also add that I was never very interested in the whole Princess Diana media circus while she was still alive, but I was of course sad when she was killed in the car accident. What interested me more about the movie was the touchy political aspect, and how the Royal Family fits into that society overall. There is so much history there and I have always struggled to understand what the Royal Family really means for the Brits. And again, the cast really was superb.

3. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member

Miranda Richardson?

Helen Mirren was incredible in this. But if you really want to see her acting chops, check out the last Prime Suspect series.

Cheers,
    Steve

4. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Oops. I constantly confuse the two. Sorry.

5. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

A fantastic film, with a performance by Helen Mirren that shouod serve as the standard for years to come.

6. Excellent film. Sheesh, Helen Mirren looked more like the Queen of England than the Queen of England.

7. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Active Member

I first saw Helen Mirren in 1973 in O' Lucky Man, then a few years after that in Excalibur and The Long Good Friday. She's one of the best. I've got her Emmy-winning performance as Elizabeth I in route and am looking forward to seeing her final(?) performance as Jane Tennison in Prime Suspect 7. The Queen just may be the best lead actress performance so far this decade.

8. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Agreed with everything said so far. Helen Mirren was amazing in this role. It truly felt like watching an actual documentary of that portion of the Queen's life. It was also a very good movie overall. I didn't really fall the Princess Di thing that much when it happened so a lot of the information was new to me.

My wife on the other hand new every little detail and she still thought the movie was fantastic.