The Rocky Horror Picture Show (vote)

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Colton, Jun 14, 2007.

?

Did you see The Rocky Horror Picture Show?

1. I was a regular Frankie fan every weekend. I even played a part!

100.0%
  2. I saw it several times with friends and know some lines.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I only saw it a few times. Threw some props around.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I only saw it once or twice. I'm too shy to participate!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Never took the risk! I'm a virgin!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

Just want to see how many of you participated when The Rocky Horror Picture Show played the midnight circuit. This poll is only for seeing the movie at the theater - not on TV or DVD.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Do you want one of these deleted?

3. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Toast!

4. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

Saw it once during its regular non-midnight release. It, obviously, didn't play very well.

Saw it again during the midnight years, but it still didn't do anything for me. I then had to play it at my theater for several months and I'm pretty sure I never want to see another frame of it again :)

5. Colton

Yeah, the other one. :) Thanks, CJ!

6. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

I've seen bits and pieces of it on TV, but I have never seen it live.

7. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Love the movie, never seen it theatrically but not for the reasons you suggest, just never had. It does play at the Dundee every now and then, I'll probably catch it some day. In fact, it looks like I missed it in May. And before someone says it, its an arthouse theater so don't go thinking we're just getting these films as first run in Omaha :D

http://www.dundeetheatre.com/midnight.html

8. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Disliked the movie..never could understand the fascination with it.

9. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Probably hits to close to home :D

10. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Egads no!

It was just not an amusing movie..more annoying than anything...

11. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Who owns the distribution rights to this (i.e. which next gen format will this be released on?)

12. Colton

I'm not sure exactly when I became fascinated with Rocky Horror. When it was at its popularity in the early 80s doing its midnight cult showings at several theaters in Oklahoma alone - I was too young to go. My older brother bought the vinyl soundtrack LP and I would listen to the music and examine the record cover wondering what it was like to see the film. Finally, one late Saturday night while waiting for Doctor Who to come on BBC - my older brother walks in and asks if I wanted to see Rocky Horror. What a exciting experience it was! The crowd! The participation! The props! The music! It was like nothing I've ever seen and nothing can compare to it. Unfortunately, the release of the VHS (and later the DVD) slowly pushed the late night picture show into retirement. It does pop up around Halloween in a few select theaters (fan rentals mostly) and I still get that old feeling everytime I watch it live.

There's an "Alternative Science Fiction/Double Feature" that was originally visioned by Richard O'Brien in the screenplay, but wasn't used because of the cost to purchase each movie clip in the song. Alas, the ever famous lips were born and the rest is history.

From the screenplay:
    Check it out at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYdTyrwjTek

13. Colton

Well, if you wanted to show the movie publicly (outside / theater) you have to get permission from Criterion USA. Otherwise, it's still a 20th Century Fox distribution.

14. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Like I said, I was interested in if it would be coming out on HD-DVD and/or Blu-Ray. It sounds like in the near term it would be BD, though things might change before the movie ever came out.

15. DYohn

I've probably seen the movie 30 times in the theater, and not only have I seen it multiple times on stage, I played Riff Raff in a production a few years ago.

16. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Big shock you Birkenstock wearing, granola eating, crystal gripping hippie!

(just kidding, but I heard crystal gripping hippie on a TV show the other day and it cracked me up!)

17. DYohn

This sonic transducer, it is I suppose some kind of audio-vibratory-physio-molecular transport device?

18. Colton

I'm planning to host it at one of our local theaters sometime. I got this email back from Criterion USA just recently:

So, no profit would be made to show this (not that I care). The cost to rent the theater is a Special Non-Profit Rate: $350/day (Proof of IRS 501(c)(3) status must be provided. The admission would only be $5. I doubt it'll pay itself.

19. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

My old university used to show it in the biggest auditorium every year at halloween...tonnes of people would come to see it and yes, throw certain 'articles' ;)

It was a blast!

Feed me seymour!

Jason

20. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Erm... Jason, are you talking about a different movie ;)