1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

The Sopranos

Discussion in 'TV Land' started by Allen, May 14, 2007.

1. Allen

Allen New Member War Zone Member

Well, I shouldn't go in depth yet about tonight's episode, since I missed the first part myself (got back late from the Warriors' playoff loss :cry::x ) - but I DID want to start the thread here on The Sopranos.

Tony seems to either be: 1) going off the deep end, or 2) stopping to "smell the roses", depending on your perspective.

And we lost another major character tonight....

Only 3 more episodes to go, and it looks like the NY-NJ mob war is still brewing.

2. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

last night episode was pretty good. They showed how big of a monster Tony really is. Time is running out. I hope they have a good way to end the series.

3. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

I missed it the first showing due to catching a guilty pleasure (damn you Mark Burnett), then caught the West Coast feed, I'm glad I stayed up.

Over on HTT I theorized that the series wouldn't end quite as neatly as some hope for, but now I'm not so sure, maybe they will cleanly tie up the major points at the end.

I guess the big question will be how fans react, I've noticed that the writing has been kind of more and more slanted towards showing how Tony really is a bad guy, so are they trying to setup a blaze of glory type death scene, maybe an anti-climatic FBI arrest.

4. Jerry Pease

more now than ever.

5. Jerry Pease

funnies line by AJ:

6. Jerry Pease

oh yeah one more thing

That scene where Sonya was on top of Tony, good lord!

I give her a "10" on stroke, rhythm and rigor.

God bless her!

7. Allen

I watched the first half last night that I missed Sunday night. Of course, it took the shock out of Chris's death to have "entered" halfway through. Plenty of irony that Chris lived through his nose (drugs), and died by his nose.

I still wonder what Tony's motivation to be in Vegas was:
    - to "be Christopher" for awhile and prove he could do what Christopher did and come out the other side (prove to himself Chris was "weak", just like he ultimately judged)?
    - Make sure Chris's exes didn't know anything?
    - Pork every one of Chris's exes?
    - Just get away because he couldn't deal with everyone else's grief, knowing he was the cause of it?
    - Ditch responsibility for a few days?
    - All of the above?

Loved a couple of Tim Goodman's (SF Chron TV critic) comments about this one:

# "This 'Departed' soundtrack is f-ing killer." - Christopher. Yeah, all those movies about infiltrating the mob have great soundtracks.

# "Whatever happened to stop and smell the roses?" - Christopher to Tony. It was a lovely small moment, Christopher being honest, emotionally, with Tony in a way he hadn't in some time. But maybe Tony thought he said, "Whatever happened to stop and pinch the noses."

# "To see him die like that. Practically in my arms." - Tony. Now that's cold blooded. And rich.

# "The biggest blunder of my career is now gone. And I don't have to be confronted by that fact no more." - What Tony's really feeling.

# "I was f-ing prostate with grief." - Tony. Oh, they just keep coming. A hallmark of the show. But those competing scenes with Melfi - the dream and the reconstructed reality - were really good.

# A.J. Where to start? Well, he's definitely not Tony Soprano Jr. The thrill is gone. Once he heard Wordsworth - "The world is too much with us" - he was gone from the Two Jason's grasp. (Probably didn't hurt that the teacher was cute). But A.J. is no fighter. "Everything is so f-ed up." Not exactly poetry, but true. "Why can't we all get along?" This after participating in the beat down of a black man on the street. Everybody loves irony. Mostly because it's not dead.

# Sarah Shahi. Never hard to watch her. Makes you feel good about all the college kids putting themselves through school by stripping. A heartwarming story.

# Another masterful performance from Gandolfini, by the way, an actor we now take for granted.

8. Jerry Pease

OMG, now I know where I have seen here, she is Carmen from L-Word. She is hotter than Georgia asphalt on a hot summer day.

9. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor Top Poster

Wow, Allen. Another great Sopranos post.

My big takeaway from last night was at the end when Tony shouted at the sunrise, or some higher order, something to the affect that he "sees it now" An epiphany for sure, but maybe a little too easy for them to provide Tony with his exit plan if it's not done properly. Mob Bosses finding their way by dropping peyote? I dunno...

10. Hayes Preston

Hayes Preston New Member

Crazy episode, even though I saw the accident coming a mile away, I did not see Christopher's death coming so early in the episode, I was really caught off-guard on that one.

I thought it was to get away, since everyone around him was so greif stricken and he was actually happy/releived, he could go to Vegas and not have to put on a show.

11. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Yes, another good post by Allen. Nice job.

I was a little surprised they 'let Christopher go', but after a nights sleep I can see why, more and more.

I thought it was a very good episode. Three more to go.

Oh and by the way I personally never started taking Gandolfini for granted. If anything I've admired his acting abilities more and more since the show started. It's easy to see for me that he is the glue of this show, and has held it all together through some rather bumpy spots. Last night's episode proves once again just how good he is. I hope to see him really shine in the movies once he exits this show, and hopefully is able to shed 'Tony' without any problems at all.

12. Jerry Pease

oh yeah baby, great episode. My most favorite line was when Tone told Melfi let me real there is a history of stupidity. :D

I think Sopranos finally hit the boiling point.

13. Allen

Tough, tough episode. But I had to enjoy the irony of Tony's captains trying to come up with "issues" their kids have had, to make Tony feel less alone with AJ's depression and its fallout. Paulie suggesting " it's all the toxins these kids have been exposed to for their entire lives" - while Tony's guys are still dumping asbestos into the Meadowlands is pretty rich.

Tony used Livia's signature "poor you" multiple times tonight - the son's way more like the mother than he wants to admit.

The exchange between Phil and Tony about compromise was classic, since Phil could more than "one up" Tony about "compromises" being all the things he only had very pale imitations of for the 20 years he spent in prison.

Maybe the peyote DID give Tony one pretty good insight: "Mothers are like buses; they're the vehicle that gets us here. They drop us off and go on their way, they continue on their journey, and our problem is we continue trying to get back on the bus instead of just letting it go."

Probably the funniest opening scene tonight was Silvio reading "How to Clean Practically Everything". Maybe he could loan it to the staff at Coco's restaurant ("get a mop"). :wink:

14. Jerry Pease

excellent comments

I did make the connection. Good one.

You are so right and again I missed that one too. But AJ is so pathetic.

How about the one where Melfi tell Tony AJ suicide might had been a call-cry for help and Tony replies something like lets face it the is a history of stupidity here.

15. Jerry Pease

oh yeah, that scene where Tony beat the dude to a pulp was very intense. I think he still has it in him.

16. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

Also the scene a few before where AJ was talking about all the chemicals put into food while the other family members were eating.

The scene with Melfi and her shrink was interesting, and I can't help but wonder if it will play a part in how everything ends, but that was some pretty slap in the face delibrate talk about how 'talk therapy' makes the psychopaths more psychopathic, the scene's following with Tony and Melfi seemed to highlight that as well when Tony says he's a good guy (for the most part).

Any thoughts on how everything will play out? The Soprano's/NY relationship is basically gone, Tony's top guys have all been highlighted for various weaknesses, AJ is a mess, Meadow is bumpin' uglies with one of Tony's 'employees', Carmela is in denial over a million in one things.

17. Allen

More malapropism moments and mangled expressions from Little Carmine:
    - describing Tony's "alteration"
    - "you're at the precipice of a crossroads"

18. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

Watching those guys try and act "sophisticated" is comedy gold.

Despite telling myself not to find spoilers I still go searching for them, which is fun with the Sopranos, since about 90% are just flat out wrong, 9% have maybe one detail correct and the rest just wrong and I'm just leaving 1% in there because somewhere there's likely a good spoiler, but I haven't found it.

2-weeks until the next episode as well, damn holidays!

19. Jerry Pease

little carmine and tony get together and wack uncle philly.

20. Hayes Preston

Hayes Preston New Member

Wow, last night was crazy. I thought that Tony killed "Coco" but apparently just f@*#ed him up pretty badly. The scene with Tony and Little Carmine talking to Phil through the window was interesting, as Phil seems to be isolating himself from the rest of the world.