There Will Be Blood - Trailer

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Mike Kelly, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Active Member

Like The Coen Brother's new one, Paul Thomas Anderson's latest film has a southwest motif. I didn't recognize Daniel Day-Lewis as the lead until the last shot of the trailer. Anderson is four for four in my book, and I hope this one is a good as his others. It has a Days of Heaven look to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYW2ltW5SPo

2. Shane

Shane Active Member

I'm batting 0-4 with PT Anderson. This however looks like genius. It has a very "Deadwood" feel about it and Lewis looks like he's lining himself up for another Oscar.

3. Shane

Shane Active Member

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Looks like an entertaining rental.

5. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

Caught this tonight and it was quite the movie. I think it's my favourite from P. T. Anderson. I've enjoyed his previous movies but I don't think they're quite as wonderful as a lot of people feel.

Day-Lewis was fantastic as was to be expected but not quite as good as he was in Gangs of New York. Paul Dano has come a long way from The Girl Next Door and improved on the good work he did in Little Miss Sunshine. Everyone else from Ciaran Hinds to the kid who plays his son were very good as well. I'm sure there will be some acting Oscar nominations.

The writing was really good, although I'd say a good portion of the first 10-15 minutes is dialog free. The score by Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood was different, but I really dug it.

That being said, it wasn't perfect either. The movie takes place over a period of 29 years and yet Day-Lewis doesn't look like he's aged a day apart from his movements and same goes for Dano. I know that's just nitpicking but it's small details like this that I notice sometimes. It also runs a but longer than it needs to I thought at 2:40.

As much as I liked this, it doesn't top No Country for Old Men for me anyways.

6. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Active Member

Sean, you're the first person other than critics that I know that has seen There Will Be Blood. I'm trying to keep my high expectations recessed. I must admit I've really connected with P.T. Anderson's films especially his last two. The middle hour of Magnolia is about the best filmmaking I've seen in the past 40 years, and Punch Drunk Love registers with me like Office Space does with so many others. And not to take anything away from Adrian Brody, but I thought Daniel Day Lewis gave hands-down the best performance in 2002 for Gangs of New York.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2008
  7. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

Since you're already a P.T.A. fan, I'm sure you'll like this one and look forward to hearing what you think afterwards.

I also agree with you about Daniel Day-Lewis in 2002. I was really hoping he would win the Oscar; however, I was happy to see Brody win as well.

8. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

There Will Be Blood

Got a free screening (Jan 16) ... anyone know anything about this movie?

9. chad

chad Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

The must have changed the title, it was "Aunt Flo is in Town"

10. Pete Apruzzese

Pete Apruzzese New Member

It has gotten mostly terrific reviews and will earn a pile of Oscar nominations. It's from Paul Thomas Anderson, the director of Boogie Nights, Magnolia, and Punch Drunk Love.

I want to see it, but it isn't playing in any suitable theaters in this area (it's still in limited release).

11. chad

chad Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Colton, what he said translates to: You will be there for no less than 10 hours.

12. Shane

Shane Active Member

A simple search is all that is needed...

Merged.

13. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

That's why we keep you around. ;)

14. Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly Active Member

I got lucky in that There Will be Blood opened in one theater in Central Florida today, and it was in Merritt Island, which is close to me. I am a member of the Online Film and Television Association, and my annual ballot for film awards was due at 5 PM today. I got this movie in just under the gun.

That said, I was very impressed. Where P.T. Anderson was Altman-like with Magnolia, this time he evoked Stanley Kubrick with his reliance on long stretches without dialogue and a 2001/Shining type dissonant classical score. The movie belongs to Daniel Day-Lewis. Using a resonant John Huston type voice, he commands every scene he's in - and he's in most all of them. The story of capitalism vs. religion didn't hold as much interest for me as did the crime story of No Country for Old Men. I would also give There Will be Blood a rating of 9 out of 10, but rank it just under No Country in my top 10.

15. GaryAR

GaryAR New Member War Zone Member

There Will Be Blood

I saw this one a couple days ago, and I can't believe there's no thread on it yet. I thought it was a great film, the visuals and cinematography are spectacular, the music (by Johnny Greenwood of Radiohead) is intense and perfectly suited to the film, and it goes without saying that Daniel Day Lewis is as good as everyone is saying he is in the lead role. He plays Daniel Plainview to scary perfection, and I found it pretty interesting that they didn't take the typical route of portraying this kind of a lead character either as a tyrant you despise or a bad guy with a good side that makes you feel sympathetic for him... instead he's somewhere in the middle, a driven but flawed human, with a compelling story. Odd's that he wins the Oscar for best actor? Probably better than the Patriots winning next Saturday. Highly recommended.

Gary

16. Andrew Beacom

Andrew Beacom New Member

There Will Be Blood

Saw this yesterday after being interested by the trailer and Oscar nominations. I now wish I had my money and those 163 minutes back again. DDL is very good in this film but the story isn't. It's one of those film only Hollywood can love. It's the story of a man who is pretty much a bastard for his whole life. I kept hoping for a little ray of light at the end but it just got worse when he turned on his own family.

Not recommended.

17. Bill Stratton

Bill Stratton Active Member

I just watched this on SD DVD. While a good enough story, it really didn't captivate me in any way. DDL was extraordinary, but that wasn't enough for me. Too long overall, and no dialog the first 12 minutes was too long too. 6/10 rating.

On a technical note, the DVD video quality was very poor. I thought it was non-anamorphic, but that's not the case.

18. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

Wow. I loved this one.

19. brianca

brianca New Member

I loved it too. I thought it was great all around.

For those that have seen it, check out the milkshake speech spoofs on youtube. They are great.

20. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

It was ok, over rated as I see it and the music, didn't do anything but distract the entire time. DDL was great but the movie itself, ho-hum. Glad I borrowed this one from a coworker.