Things to see/do and EAT in Kansas City

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Zak, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Zak

Zak Active Member War Zone Member

Heading to Kansas City tomorrow for 2 days. Getting there around 3:00pm tomorrow afternoon and flying home Friday night. Visiting clients Thursday morning and friday afternoon so the rest of the time is being devoted to eating mass quantities of Ribs. So where are places to go to get the GOOD KC style ribs????????

Anything else to do in town as well?

2. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

I dunno ... you tell me.

kansas.jpg

:?

Have fun!

3. Zak

Nice bike. What is that a BMW?

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Go down to the plaza for some shopping/dinner. Ask around down there for a rib joint.

5. DougBenn

DougBenn New Member

The absolute best BBQ in town is on the South Side in Martin City. It's called Jack's Stack.

135th St and Holmes Rd.

The new hot spot is in KCKS near the Kansas Speedway, there is an outdoor shopping center called The Legends, the have Dave n Busters, etc. There is a Cabelas nearby and the race track itself.

I agree the Plaza is a nice destination, you can check out George Bretts on the Plaza for atmosphere, Starks Reserve, McCormick and Schmidts.

Near the Plaza is the Nelson Art Gallery.

Crown Center is a neat destination as well.

There is an abundance of history and sites to see if you are into that. All of the trails West started and crossed here in several points so there are several references to that type of history as well.

Truman Library in Independence.

Hmmmmmm

6. DougBenn

DougBenn New Member

Colton, you sure that's not a picture of Nebraska? :wink:

7. Colton

8. DougBenn

DougBenn New Member

lol, Northern MO looks like that too, sucks quite honestly.

9. Colton

Yeah, so does most parts of Oklahoma. :lol:

10. Zak

Thanks for hte tips. Really want to just eat the best BBQ that KC has to offer, then see the sites. But Ribs come first!!!

11. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Where is Raymore? Sounds like a KC suburb? I used to have family in Raytown...

12. Zak

Just did a google map to see where Jacks Stacks is and it looks like it's not to far from our Hotel. I believe we're staying in Overland Park. My coworker just confirmed our search in BBQ only. Though it is a bummer the Royals are not in town those nights.

Besides Jacks, what are a few more BBQ places one has to hit?

13. Shane

Shane Active Member

I second Jack Stack. No other place is worth visiting.

They have a 2nd location in Overland Park that is good as well but the Martin City one has better atmosphere. It's right next to the Crispy Kreme :)

Crowne Plaza is ok but the main plaza is where the shopping is at.

Blvd Brewing company is located there:
    http://www.blvdbeer.com/brewery.htm

You could do a tour. I know there are several brew pubs downtown.

14. Zak

Crispy Kreme, SCORE. All of their stores closed down around here. Real shame.

I thought KC was sort of a holy grail for rib lovers? the whole KC style ribs???? I

15. Shane

Shane Active Member

The beans at Jack Stack are to die for. Make sure you double up on those.

16. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

I posted in your BBQ post, but I really like Oklahoma Joes. I also enjoy Gates sauce, so I tend to stop at Gates BBQ while I'm in town. If you are a camper/hiker/hunter/fisher hit up Cabela's out by the racetrack. Legends mall is out by Cabela's there too and my kids love the T-Rex Cafe. You can go in there and check it out without eating. Also by the Legends off Parallel Parkway is Culvers. Good burgers and custard and a favorite if I'm crusing up there with a group in the Chevelle.

Do you ride? MotorcycleCloseouts.com is on the North Oak Trafficway and they have great prices on MC gear. I never go to the plaza, but my wife loves it.

17. DougBenn

DougBenn New Member

Raymore is on the SE side of the Metro, used to be primarily farmland but have grown significantly in the last few years.

Raytown is just 8-10 miles North of us.

18. Zak

Just hit up Jack Stacks tonight. DAMN. Had the burnt ends appitizer, brisket, spare ribs, with some fries and that bread. BBQ sauce was amazing. Stomach realy hurts right now but wow, the ribs were amazing. Brisket and burnt ends were good but the ribs would bring me back there. Hitting up Gates tomorrow for lunch and hoping to Oklahoma Joe's as well.

Sorry Shane, i cannot stand beans so i passed on them. My coworker had them and loved them.

19. DougBenn

DougBenn New Member

Man, I drove right by there 3 times today. Love to sit at the stop light and just take in the smells.

Glad you liked it!

20. Stefan

Stefan Active Member War Zone Member