1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

This ain't a girl scout camp! ("Holes" DVD review)

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by E Jones, May 18, 2007.

Tags:
  1. E Jones

E Jones Active Member

Ron's recent Peter Pan thread made me think of other good/favorite films that I have seen that may have been overlooked by others because they were written off as a "kids" film.

Besides Peter Pan one of my other favorites "kids" films from the past few years is "HOLES".

[​IMG]

Roger Ebert recently included it in his Overlooked Film Festival this year. Here's a few things he had to say about it.

"..."Holes", which tells their story, is a movie so strange that it escapes entirely from the family genre and moves into fantasy. Like "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory," it has fearsome depths and secrets. Based on the much-honored young adult's novel by Louis Sachar, it has been given the top-shelf treatment: The director is Andrew Davis ("The Fugitive") and the cast includes not only talented young stars but also weirdness from adults such as Jon Voight, Sigourney Weaver, Tim Blake Nelson and Patricia Arquette."

"The whole movie generates a surprising conviction. No wonder young readers have embraced it so eagerly: It doesn't condescend, and it founds its story on recognizable human nature. There are all sorts of undercurrents, such as the edgy tension between the Warden and Mr. Sir, that add depth and intrigue; Voight and Weaver don't simply play caricatures."

This is a very fun film which is mostly due to the excellent cast. Shia LaBeouf (Disturbia, Transformers) is excellent as the main character Stanley. John Voight, Sigorney Weaver and Tim Blake Nelson make a great comedic threesome.

Check it out.

-EJ