1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on the Halo 3 Beta

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Ken McDaniel, May 18, 2007.

1. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Finally got a good evening with the buddies (minus Mike Parent) to play the new Halo 3 Beta at length and decided I would post a few observations:

1. Yeah, it is that good. What did I like about it? Well, for one, the combat physics are greatly improved. It's much more a throwback to Halo 1. When you jump there isn't a 5 second window where you're hanging in the air like a Power Ranger.

2. The visuals are nice. Not insane like Gears of War, but still very good. Interaction with the environment is excellent. I noticed I was getting bogged down in snow when charging one opponent.

3. Weapons. I can go on and on about the weapons. Used to be there was the sword, sniper rifle, and rocket launcher. Whoever controlled the power weapons controlled the game. No more. Guess what, everything is portable. One opponent was bunkered with a rocket launch in a crop of rockets and nobody could get in there. I unhooked a gatling gun from it's mount, plodded over and proceded to dig out his whole team.

Dual wielding is improved. You're no longer vulnerable when reloading. Each bumper on the control reloads it's respective gun. So if you reload the left, you still have the right to defend yourself.

There are so many cool explosives this time around and the bubble shield is and land mines are very effective. The spike grenade is by far my favorite addition.

Best new weapon? Spartan Laser. Think Hammer of Dawn but on a frozen rope. Instant crispy critter.

4. Interface. The lobby and related interface is unbelievably improved. I don't know how they did it, but they managed to take a pretty damn ambitious concept and make it reality, and it's the little touches that make it so cool. Like the ability to review the previous game's stats all the way up to the next match. The new ranking and historical record keeping are also very nice. The most impressive by far is the film room. You can keep a video copy of your favorite matches, edit them down, and share them online.

Not to sure how the latter works but I'm sure we're going to see a plethora of 'teabagging' music videos on YouTube.

All in all, I'm very impressed. The graphics were very far along and the gameplay for the most part of extremely smooth with little or no lag. To think that this will get even furthed polished before release means the final product will be phenomenal. I can't wait to jump into coop online campaign mode a la Gears of War.

Finish the Fight!

2. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

The physics improvements are what I am most impressed with. They really do add to some of the nuances of the game.

The gadgets also add a great new wrinkle. What they do is provide an avenue to get around someone doing some cheesy pattern. Someone holed up and you are having trouble busting through? Use the jump gadget to get yourself over the top of a wall and into their position.

Is a hallway bogged down with two guys with nades? Use the shield to setup a position where you can counter with your own nades and then push through the secured spot.

The game is definitely "Halo", but with enough small updates to keep it fun and new.

BTW... I also like the "veto" option. No more getting stuck with the same lame gametype two or three games in a row!

3. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Now THAT is cool.

4. The expert in our home says that it is tougher than Halo 2... but after a few hours, he says he got the hang of the new weapons and capabilities. Of course, I printed out Ken's and Michaels tips and gave them to him too. :D

5. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

:(

6. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

There is a rumor going around about evidence in the beta of 4-player co-op. Now that would be cool.

7. Ken McDaniel

Yeah, sorry Mike.

8. Ken McDaniel

Yep, apparently the good geeks out there broke down the code and found it.

9. If you want to play the beta for cheap...

BTW, if anyone wants to get in on the beta play and didn't buy Crackdown, or win one of the contests for the free beta and actually get your beta code from MS, you can still get into the beta by finding a blockbuster with a copy of Crackdown to rent. Rent it for $8, download the beta, and then just keep Crackdown for a month until the beta ends in June. Although BBust will charge you for the purchase price of Crackdown($60?), once the beta is over you can return Crackdown to BB and get refunded your $60 minus an additional $1.50 charge.

So, if you really, really, really want to play the beta, you can do so for less than $10. :D

10. Ken McDaniel

Change, they added Big Team Battle earlier in the week which allows aggressive 6 vs 6 matchups. Very cool. We've experimented with difference connection criteria. You can select how XBL finds matches by connection quality, experience level, etc... We've defaulted over to connection quality and the results have been positive. Nothing new from a weapon or feature standpoint, but the lack of lag is impressive.

11. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

I love the veto.

Weapons- My favorite new weapon is the spike/needler thing. It looks like a mini brute shot. New Kool Fun Facts- Plasma Pistol fully charged will stop a vehicle for a short while. Needler no longer dual weild.

Grenades-Plasma looks way kewler. I can see it more clearly. It is not just a blue blur. Spike Grenade. Well it speak for iteself. It is by far the best. Buuble sheild and grav lift is awesome. I also love the sheild degenerator. Bummer-Can't carry four of the same grenade.

Physics and Graphics. On Snow Bound the snow was blowing and our boots mushed down into it. The hangtime of our jump is better while it still does have the same Halo feel.

Multiplayer- Love all the new stuff. Veto, films, organization of rank. It's all excellent. Can't Wait!!!!

12. NathanP

NathanP New Member

I was a little disappointed with the graphics. other than that, it was great.

13. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

Nathan let me know if you want your gamertag posted in the gamertag thread...

14. Ken McDaniel

Nathan, I'm expecting big improvements with the actual release. I've seen HD video of in-studio gameplay (Is Quisnam Protero Damno) and it looks much cleaner than the Beta release. You can download in from the XBL marketplace.

15. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

As someone who pretty much hates Halo 2, I've really been enjoying the beta when I can get a big enough group of friends together and we can pretty much have a private match. When I have to venture out and play with the general population, I dislike it as much as I disliked 2.

I think the game looks really nice and there are definite improvements over the last one. I also think it plays very well and the controls are nice and smooth. I'm looking forward to picking this up in September. It'll help me pass time until Half-Life 2: Orange Box comes out. :D

16. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

As someone who pretty much hates Halo 2, I've really been enjoying the beta when I can get a big enough group of friends together and we can pretty much have a private match. When I have to venture out and play with the general population, I dislike it as much as I disliked 2.

I think the game looks really nice and there are definite improvements over the last one. I also think it plays very well and the controls are nice and smooth. I'm looking forward to picking this up in September. It'll help me pass time until Half-Life 2: Orange Box comes out. :D

17. Ken McDaniel

Sean, I'm with you on the Orange box, I personally think it's going to rock.

18. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

Definitely. Half-Life 2 is one of my favourite games of all time and I loved Episode 1. I never played the original Team Fortress, so I'm really looking forward to playing number 2.

Sorry about the double post though. Must have hit refresh or something.

19. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

I'm with you guys, really enjoyed Half Life 1 and 2. I haven't played Episode 1 yet...waiting for the 360 version. Not to mention PORTAL!! Woot!

Hey Sean, we need to get another game of Catan in one of these nights.

20. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

I'm always up for more Catan. 3 of us are going to be playing tonight but not until midnight or so if you're interested.