To insulate or not to insulate a riser

Discussion in 'DIY Lounge' started by Michael M, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Thoughts and ideas on insulating under a riser?

Another question; would it act like a bass trap if I do?

It's being built today so I need your thoughts.

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

I didn't insulate mine (you're talking riser, not stage right?) The seating on top of it mass loaded it pretty good and I never had any resonance.

3. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Well I have gotten close to building one a few times and everytime the topic comes up I have been told that it should be filled with Sand but when I build mine it will be on the second story and I do not really want to add that much extra weight up there.

I have been told that at the least I should use something lighter like foam packing peanuts.

I am glad to hear from CJ that he has not had problems with a hollow one though.

Max

4. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Yeah, riser, not stage. I guess I'll let it be.

Another thought at the other end of the spectrum is to put a 12" sub in there and let'er shake!

5. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

Another option that you might try Michael is just before you close it in, throw in a few fiberglass batts (just enough to fill the hollow), not too expensive, light, and will give you some dampening.

6. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Actually that was my first thought. Wondering if I needed to do this.

7. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Better safe than sorry if its a PITA to change but mine was built with an open bottom so I could lift it up and make changes. I just never had a problem

8. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

"Need" is subjective...I would do it while you had the opportunity...but that's me...

9. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

I decided to see if I can squeeze in my 15" Tempest. (it would be angled inside the box) It's for shaking purposes only. Like your's CJ, the bottom will be open. I'll get some rubber flooring to act as a sort of gasket. It won't be turned up much, so the ill effects of leakage won't amount to much. This will give the back row a little something special for having to sit in the back. ;)

10. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

recommended stuffing materials 1st choice cement/sand 2nd choice heavy attic insulation.

11. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Even with the sub in there? I thought of putting some in and treating it sorta like a regular sub box, but not stuffing it full.

12. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

I have seen some very nice implementations using a riser as an enclosure for a secondary subwoofer. I agree with those who say you should do something to dampen the resonances of the structure, whether it's cement or insulation or rubberized sound-proofing paint (spray-on truck bed liner like Rhino Liner works pretty well.)

13. John Gonzales

John Gonzales New Member

If you're building a riser or stage, you'll be using joists to support the deck. If you're using joists to support the deck then your subwoofer enclosure would effectively be the bay where the sub is mounted, and would leave you with several unused hollow bays. I would suggest filling the hollow bays with a solid material. If I remember correctly, didn't Jerry mention that carrying the sand from his driveway to his theater was pretty easy ;). If you're like Max, then you definitely don't want to point load the second floor with sand. I would suggest using some fiberglass insulation if you're not going to go the sand route. Also, using multiple layers for the decking is also a good idea.

Keep in mind too that adding an additional subwoofer is going to interact with your main subwoofers. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but you may want to consider the potential effects and be ready to consider a good parametric eq.

14. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Thanks for the input John. Here's what I'm doing. There are two 'chambers' to the riser and each will have insulation. It's only to shake the riser, not to act as a sub.

IMG_0976.jpg

15. John Gonzales

John Gonzales New Member

That's pretty slick looking. I like it. Like I mentioned earlier you can always consider using the sub in the riser to help with your LF response for the room. Floyd Toole has some (relatively) easy reading regarding multiple subs and room modes. Here are a few links:
    Loudspeakers and Rooms for Multi-channel Audio Reproduction part 3
    and
    Multiple Subs

I also saw some new transducers (bass shakers) that were nice. They had a lot of power to them and might be fun too. They were a little on the expensive side as I recall. As soon as I remember the name I'll post them. We're going to attach them to a client's bed in their bedroom theater. I haven't decided whether I'm going to tell him that we're going to do it though :).
    I'm not normally impressed with bass shakers, but these ones were pretty cool.

16. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Bass shakers Could be cool. I remember YEARS ago we all talked about how freaking cool it would be if the next gen formats had a dedicated tactile channel. That way you feel the footsteps in Jurassic Park before you even feel them. Because the general problem now is that I want my couch to shake when T-Rex comes but not when Johnny Cash sings or James Earl Jones speaks.

17. Colton

Colton New Member War Zone Member

What would that sound like? A volcano? Geyser? :?

... or do you mean the orgasmic roar? :shock:

18. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Just an update incase anyone was wondering what happened to my HT project. See the pic above? The guy under the stairs that was helping me, my mom's boyfriend, passed away last October. I haven't been motivated to do anything since. I rarely go downstairs anymore, certainly not for working on my HT.

Leroy was a great guy, certainly one of the nicest people you would ever meet, someone you would want as a friend or family member. He was extremely smart in construction, it was his profession, and it was an honor to have him work on my HT. He and my mom drove from Orlando to Atlanta several times just to help me out so I didn't have to hire someone. Drew was always down there helping. It was a major shock when he passed due to a heart attack.

RIP Leroy, you are still greatly missed.

19. chad

chad Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Michael, sorry for your loss. Maybe you could complete it as a tribute to Leroy? I assure you that he will be there helping you every step of the way. There were some things that I did only with my grandma. When she passed away on the first of this year I did not think I could ever do them again. Well, I have tried and honestly, I feel that she is closer than she had been the past few years of her life.

20. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Thanks Chad. I thought about that before and that's what we will be doing.