1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

"Tom Yum Goong" aka "The Protector"

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Dennis Pagoulatos, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Dennis Pagoulatos

Dennis Pagoulatos Active Member

The action star thread inspired me to bring up this gem of an action movie- starring Tony Jaa of "Ong Bak" fame for those that have seen it. This is the follow-up film to that one, with a (slightly) bigger budget, an even thinner "plot", and some of the worst acting I've ever seen in my life- but none of that matters if what you want to see is someone kick unholy amounts of ass for 90 minutes. Grab your 64oz Mountain Dew and enjoy! Oh, and make sure to skip the American version (more than 20 minutes cut out) and skip to Disk 2, which contains the "international uncut" version of the film, in original Thai/ English 5.1 soundtrack. The movie mostly takes place in Sydney, so there is a lot of English spoken throughout- but like I said, the dialogue does not matter at all- it's all about kicking unholy amounts of ass, and this movie delivers like no other I've ever seen. :lol: :lol:

http://www.amazon.com/Protector-Two...1-1447047?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1181246620&sr=8-1

-Dennis

2. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I caught bits and pieces of this on ship in Japan. You are right. Probably the most non stop butt kicking action in any one movie. Entertaining, too.

3. Dennis Pagoulatos

If you get the chance, try and watch the whole thing- you won't be disappointed.

-Dennis

4. ryant

ryant New Member

The main issue I had with this film, was it seemed like he kept on using the same move over and over and over again. There was little variation in how he took out people when surrounded.

I thought that Ong Bak was a better overall film, but this one was worth a rental at least.

5. Dennis Pagoulatos

I agree that he did that during the long battle very near the end- but I think that was done for "effect" (without spoiling it- the effect of disabling that many guys). :D

-Dennis

6. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I think I liked the Protector better than Ong Bak.

7. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

I also thought this was a better movie than Ong Bak. This guy is just so impressive, so fast and graceful and yet bone-jarringly LETHAL. I'd hate to be one of the many stunt-men that he beats the crap out of in these movies. lol

8. stephenj

stephenj Active Member

I saw this in the theater last year. Was very entertained, and enjoyed Jaa's muscular, physical (as opposed to finesse) style of martial arts

Wish it could come out on HD-DVD.

9. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Thai chicken coconut milk soup? :)

10. Dennis Pagoulatos

Exactly! :lol:

Actually, that's the name of a restaurant in the movie, which is home to some evil stuff- which, of course, must be destroyed by our willing hero. 8)

-Dennis