Tony Bennett

Discussion in 'Music Lounge' started by Jack, Jun 6, 2007.

1. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Ok I will say it up front, anyone that does not own this album/cd is a schmuck. :wink:

d75966el0gm.jpg

Its has it all, an incredible performance by an incredible entertainer with an incredible recording to boot.
    Get it, don't wait or pass go, just get it.

2. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Yes, it is a good disc.

But steping back....what a leap of fatih for Tony.
    His career had stagnated, his Son was managaing
    & decided that his Dad ought to go on MTV's unplugged
    series. That musta been one helluva pitch to both Tony
    as well as MTV A&R 'suits".

Anf the rest as they say is history.

His Bill Evans Album is good.

I liked his duets with KD Lang.

3. Jack

Carl
    Excellent points, and add to the mix that this guy is 80 years old and to hear his voice still hit the notes, slam the emotion and not miss a step to me is almost a miracle.
    I respect him more every time I hear his work.

4. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Is this one of those albums like the last album of Ray Charles or Johnny Cash?

5. Jack

No
    He does duets, live in person with K.D. Lang and Elvis Costello. They are well done.
    The rest is a live performance with a real band, an excellent one to boot.
    The songs are short but to the point and his voice, while maybe not what it once was, it still tremendous.

6. Jason Lorette

Jason Lorette Active Member

When I watched Tony on American Idol this year he blue me away that a man of 80+ can still do what he does...another thing that I marvel about is the "respect" that Tony get's no matter 'what' his audience. AI is not really the locale you would expect Bennet to be...but people were 'glued' to his performance, some wide-eyed in marvel at his still ample range and accompanied it with a standing ovation

7. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Carl:
    I really like that album.

8. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Ah Tony. What a great guy.

Unplugged was also one of the first DVD's that was released. I actually have it in the jewel case.

Jack, have you seen Tony Bennett--An American Classic? It aired on NBC in high-definition last year around Thanksgiving, then was released on DVD and Blu-ray. The BD is a sight to behold...you know you need a Blu-ray player for your rack now, right? :)

- Steve

9. Dre J

Dre J New Member

I suddenly feel like I'm missing something. :)

Dre

10. TimB

TimB New Member

If you liked the duets, you might also like 2001's Playin' with my Friends - all duets with the likes of Ray Charles, Bonnie Raitt, Diana Krall, Natalie Cole, BB King, etc

11. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

I like the Bill Evans recording too. How about this one?

513H799QNJL._AA240_.jpg

His duets with KD have been compared to the relationship Satchmo had with Ella.

12. Jack

Have not seen it Steve, wish I did.
    I left room for a BR but I am just getting used to the HD. If I got a BR that would kind be like Cheating I think. :lol:

Anyway, still deciding on stand alone of PS3 once the price comes down. So I have some time.

13. Bill Stratton

Bill Stratton Active Member

Can't believe this thread is almost 4 years old! Talking about "maybe" getting a Blu-ray player -- hah!

I just finished watching the BD Tony Bennett: an American Classic from Netflix. ZOUNDS! Amazing stage settings, dance numbers, duet artists, orchestration. Oh and yes, at 80 Tony still sounds amazing. Top it off with perfect audio and video - wow.

I watched this yesterday as well. I liked it so much that I just had to spin it again before sending it back. The only dissapointment is that it's only about 45 minutes long. Still, every song was simply perfect.

I will buy this one.