1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Top Gear: Looks like it's over.

Discussion in 'TV Land' started by Zak, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Zak

Zak Active Member War Zone Member

Damn shame. My favorite show is now through. I can sit and watch that show for hours and hours, and have watched it for hours and hours on BBC America.

Chris likes this.
  2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I read online that Clarkson punched one of the shows producers (someone, some non-cast higher up).

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Active Member

Yeah it will be a sad day when that happens. I'm a MASSIVE Top Gear fan.

4. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

I don't watch it but I heard the same as CJ. He showed up the night before a shoot drunk and punched the producer for not having hot food ready.

Sounds like a "Steve Jobs" of a guy. :laugh:

5. Zak

Clarkson is a massive asshole but damn he's fun to watch on the tellie. The 3 guys have such great chemistry and the places they visit are simply incredible. I watch it for hte cars, it's funny and the scenery. My wife watches it for the scenery first, then the cars second. Even my 3 girls love the show. At least it's still on Netflix. I wonder if BBC American will still air the reruns? I read somewhere that it was one of BBC's biggest shows and brings in a ton of money for them worldwide.

6. Drew

Drew Active Member War Zone Member

Isn't it one of the biggest shows, period?

7. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member

Another fan of the show.

Jeremy can't really be replaced.... Although Hugh Laurie could come close.

8. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Damn shame, but I think they were starting to run out of steam, anyway. The idea of building stupid vehicles was fun and quirky at first, but they beat it into the ground and then tried to see if they could pound a tunnel thru to Australia. The road trips were fun, but I really liked the real road & track testing, along with the 'star in a reasonably priced car' segments.

9. Dan Driscoll

Link

FWIW, apparently Clarkson's contract was up after just 3 more episodes; the same for May and Hammond. The BBC owns the rights to the show, but they could move to Sky or even an American network, change the format slightly, drive on and probably make better money. The BBC is saying that if Clarkson or even all 3 leave they will try to keep the show going with new presenters.

10. Andrew Pratt

The Beebs can try to 'carry on' but if Jeeza leaves, Cpt Slow and Hamster will as well and if we've learned anything from watching TG:Oz and TG:US it's that there's simply no replicating the chemistry the UK guys have with each other.

There's a good chance any of them could join up with each other or others (Chris Harris, Tiff, Vicki BH, Johnny etc) and start a new show that would be very popular as well but the Beebs did grant TG a massive budget given the income it brings in and that might not be available with a new start up show. That said Chris Harris does very high quality shows on YouTube with a small budget so you can do quality...its just the 'big challenge' shows that likely cost a mint to make.

11. Zak

TG USA needs to stop just doing dumb stunts/builds and do more road trips, track events, talk about new cars etc. Even get an American stig for time trials etc.

12. Drew

Without the current cast, the show is dead. The US version is shit.

13. chad

chad Active Member War Zone Member

Couldn't agree more.

14. Andrew Pratt

The US version has potential. I like Tanner and Ruff but they need to change it up and do less challenges....esp with Tanner winning them all.

15. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Active Member War Zone Member

According to some reports it looks like Clarkson was planning to jump ship anyway and move to another english channel with a new show called Full throttle.

Max

16. Andrew Pratt

So its over...at least as it is now.

17. Drew

Who gets custody of the Stig?

18. Zak

Shame on both fronts. Good for the BBC to put their foot down as Clarkson is a bit of a pompus ass but I would have liked both sides to sit down and work something out. Hopefully it can live on and the crew can land a new gig making another amazing car show.

19. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Active Member War Zone Member

Wait I just read this morning that BBC 2 will be continuing the show and that Clarkson firing was going to become official today.

I also heard Clarkson is moving to a competing channel for a new show called Full Throttle.

Zak,
    Clarkson and his cohorts contracts expired at the end of this season and it had become obvious that he was not going to Re-up with BBC and the Full Throttle rumors were flying even before his suspension. The only thing the BBC did was pull the plug a few weeks early after he had a temper tantrum.

20. Dan Driscoll

I suspect this also clears the way for the producer that Clarkson slugged to sue or file a criminal complaint.