Toshiba drops sales target for HD DVD players

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Eric, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Eric

Eric Active Member

From News.com comes this Reuters story:

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Interesting read..thanks

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

A million would still be a lot but I find this interesting after press releases just last week citing doubling of sales. I guess that doesn't mean they were going to meet their goals but still.

4. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Hmmm, I read something yesterday that goes along with this nicely....

5. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

...which was...

6. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

If I had to venture a guess I would say that they are behind on the PC/laptop side of things. That part of the market seems way behind.

7. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Ah. That doesn't really appeal to me as I don't get the appeal of watching ANY movie on a laptop and I don't see the need for HD on a 14" screen. Now, if it doesn't cost anything and allows me to take my disks on the road and play them that's fine but that's a factor of consideration for AFTER the format war is over. It doesn't strike me as an issue that drives any closure to the war.

I think we've seen that the PS3 which CAN connect to a TV hasn't had the impact on software sales that the BD group hoped, I certainly don't think drives in laptops will have a big impact.

8. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

The press release specifically mentions sales of players AND recorders. Having an HD DVD recorder on a PC or laptop is something that would appeal to quite a few people.

I am very close to getting an HD camcorder and would love to have an HD DVD recorder to partner with it!

9. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

My bad.

10. Dan S.

Dan S. New Member

Man, if doubling sales still doesn't hit their sales goals, then it sounds like the original goals were way out of line.

11. Shane

Shane Active Member

I don't think we have seen that. We really don't know how many are being sold and used as BR players but we do know that they aren't selling standalones at a very high pace(BR isn't) and they continue to have a 2-1 sales lead in software. I would bet the majority of those would be PS3 owners.

12. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

True, but there are more PS3s in homes than standalone players from both camps combined so 2:1 isn't that impressive. In the mean time PS3 sales have plummeted and HD-DVD stb sales have risen. I didn't say PS3 is having no impact, just that its not having the impact they hoped. Less than 200k HD-DVD players sold and there have been titles selling upwards of 35k copies. 2 MILLION PS3s sold (plus stand alone players) and they sell 5-10k more copies??? So there's still no end in sight.