1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Toshiba HD A2 for $299.99 at BB and CC Between 5/20-5/26

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Christopher Saunders, May 15, 2007.

1. Someone has leaked the ads for BB and CC for 5/20-5/26/2007. Both stores are supposed to have the Toshiba HD A2 for $299.99. There are other details. If you buy either of 2 Matrix Collections you can get 2 free HD DVDs.

All the Best

2. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

That's one heck of a deal.

3. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Anyone want to bet they will be $200 by X-mas?!!!

4. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

:lol:

5. The 2 free HD DVDs are in addition to the 5 HD DVDs that you get through Toshiba.

All the Best

6. Alfer

Alfer New Member

$210 worth of free movies is indeed a good deal...

7. Whoa... anyone wanna buy a HD-DVD Xbox 360 addon? ;)

8. Shane

Shane Active Member

The reason why it's $299 is because Toshiba is offering a $100 rebate.
    http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/High-Def_Retailing/Hardware/Toshiba_Offers_$100_Rebate_on_New_HD_DVD_Players/637

If you buy a 42" or larger Toshiba HDTV, you get another $100 on top of that.

So combine the 2 and you are already hitting the <$200 price tag that Michael bet Alfer on.

9. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Nice twist to the "see the price IS lower like we said!" plan... :)

I want to clarify that although it's nice that they are offering this deal...not every customer who walks into a store will get the magic price..they would be forced to buy a $1500-2000+ HDTV to even get the discount...my overall goal is to see that ANYONE can walk into a store and get the low low price WITHOUT buying ANYTHING else...in this case, they don't get the low low price without paying extra to get it.

10. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Just to clarify, I did not and would never make another bet with Alfer.

And I don't think the $200 rebate with a TV qualifies anyway. I am still confident that we will see $200 (street) HD DVD players during the Christmas season. The fact that we are seeing players for $299 from major retailers like Circuity City in May should make it clear that they are being priced aggressively to get a large installed base that the studios will not be able to ignore.

11. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Yep, we will see $250 street prices when $299 hits Circuit City...

12. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I wonder if the combination of the HD DVD player sale and the low sales of the PS3 (down to about 20,000 units a week) will propel HD DVD software sales past BD?

13. Alfer

Alfer New Member

You'd think so, but I'm guessing that the fewer "quality" new/older title releases in the HD camp and the few studio choices in the HD camp will keep it a bit behind Blu...Blu will always have the bigger selection.

14. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Maybe you should review Shane's thread on announced titles.

At this point neither side has shown the ability to pull away in the number of available titles. For that matter, neither side has really taken a commanding lead in software sales.

15. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I have...it always seems HD has the weaker of the two title choices. Now and in the future.

16. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Fair enough. Movie preferences are very subjective.

I will say that I have been very happy with the title choices on HD DVD. The current exclusive availability of Batman Begins and The Matrix are enough for me to be content with having HD DVD in the house. :D

Note that I know that both of those movies should eventually be available to BD. Of course, I beleive that most of the current exclusive BD movies will also be available on HD DVD eventually unless there is a dramatic change in the HD landscape.

17. Does the Toshiba HD player allow 1080i output from component outputs like the XBox add on player?

18. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

I gotta get me this one! I have the SD version now.

19. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

All HD DVD and BD hardware allows 1080i output for HD DVD and BD discs.

Studios can turn on the ICT to restrict this, but the talk is that it will be several years before this happens.

20. There is an opportunity to get the Toshiba HD A2 for $299.99 plus shipping with 3 free HD DVDs of your choice from a selection of 200 titles. You get a 6 foot HDMI cord, and a T Shirt. There is another choice of HD DVDs. You can get 5 HD DVDs, but you can't choose which 5 in that particular deal. The dealer is Value Electronics. You may have to go through a little side door ;) to get these deals.

If I was going to buy right now, I would skip the 5 HD DVDs the seller has put together, and pick 3 HD DVDs from the spreadsheet of 200 HD DVDs the seller has set-up.

All the Best