1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Totally Spoiled Now...

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Paul E. Fox II, May 21, 2007.

1. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II New Member

Watched Batman Begins ion HD-DVD with my Nephew last night...looks and sounds great

Started Superman Returns tonight on SD-DVD and it looks fuzzy and noisy.

CRAP!

I have way a lot of buying to do!

CRAP AGAIN!

Anyone who can't see the difference is...well, different :D! They're just not looking very hard or needs to get the prescription in the ole lenses checked!

No, it's not as dramatic and VHS to DVD but dramatic it is...and I'm only seeing 1080i!

2. cjd

cjd New Member

Well, hopefully everything you want to watch is, you know, available.

:)

C

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

We need to tone down these types of comments guys. Of course everything he wants to watch isn't available on HD. We already know that. There are what, 225 titles out? We can't get all up in arms about Alfer being a killjoy if everyone else is going to do it. Not overreacting, just making a statement. Yes, we already know that there aren't a lot of titles in HD but that doesn't mean we have to point it out every time someone buys a machine.

Thanks,
    CJ

4. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

I was watching Pan's Labyrinth upconverted to 1080i, and it just seems so... standard. :)

I put some of Planet Earth on this weekend, and it is astonishing. Every once in awhile, the image just pops. It is not 3D, but it might as well have been.

Paul, you are making me want to try an experiment...

I think I'll pull out the VCR and the widescreen VHS of Armageddon. Then I'll play it the new 1080p DLP Mitsubishi and see if some sort of wormhole opens up to an alternate dimension. :)

- Steve

5. AndrewM

AndrewM New Member

Since I mostly buy newly released movies, I'd say a very big percentage of the stuff I buy comes out on an HD format. There are certainly older titles I want to have on the new formats, but they are films I've seen a million times so there isn't really any big rush to get them, when they trickle out, I'll pick them up.

6. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Steve, Just make sure there is a DHD on the other side of the worm hole before you go through, otherwise you might get stuck.

(SG-1 reference of the day)

7. Paul E. Fox II

Max,

That would be "DHD"...I presume you had a moment of finger displacement there.

Yep...I'm a complete SG uber-nerd!

8. Paul,

I have to agree with regard to the video on HD. Seeing King Kong in HD, as compared to SD, is incredible. As for audio, I don't yet have a preamp which includes the processing for the supposed lossless stuff, but would love to get it when Krell offers an upgrade to my unit. Then again, I'd love to have a Ferrari too.
    Glad to hear you are enjoying your home viewing experience. :)

9. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Paul, What are you talking about, it does say DHD in my post. :roll: :wink:

Nah seriously I fixed my finger slip, and I watch Stargate religiously as well and just last night watched the Tivoed ep where they were in the museum on the other planet with no way to dial home, hence my post. :)

BTW, I know you know but I must say it so everyone knows, the Rolleyes were a joke there and should not be construed as an insulting gesture. :)

Max

10. Shane

Shane Active Member

Paul,
    Wait until you see the difference on the Pirates 2 discs if they come to HD DVD ever. This is the single best looking movie in HD yet. Pirates 2 DVD was a reference disc too.

Pirates is an even bigger difference due to the heavy amount of EE on the original DVD.

As I've said once you get used to filet mignon, it's difficult to go eat sirloin again.

11. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Do you have these in house?

Just out of curiousity, do you also have The Matrix movies in house?

12. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

I'd love to get the first Pirates on Blu-ray, is it out yet? Or did you see it somewhere Shane.

13. Shane

Shane Active Member

Yes on all 3. I got them early. Pirates 2 is the best HD yet period on any format.

The matrix discs we compared using the remastered box set. If you compare the Matrix to the original dvd, it will be more dramatic because you aren't use to the new color timing on the remastered discs.

14. Paul E. Fox II

First, let me apologize if I've offended anyone...I simply meant to state that if I can see such a difference on my 1080i Only Set with my continually worsening eyesight (that's what you get when you stare on one of these PC things for hours and hours a day!), then there is a difference.

If you guys will remember way back, I was pretty much a nay-sayer when it came to HD on Disc. I couldn't believe it could look that much better than I was seeing on DVD.

Simply put, I WAS DEAD WRONG!

I had never noticed the bugs flying out of the nose of the T-Rex nor the other bug running around on his teeth.

I also had never noticed the very subtle stripes in Bruce's suit as he is leaving the hotel after taking a swim.

Sure...now that I know they're there, I can pick them out at SD but I didn't have to pick it out in HD...it was pretty much in my FACE!

Shane,

Are you talking about Pirates of the Caribbean? I thought they were Blu ONLY discs...isn't Buena Vista Blu-Ray only?

I'm on the fence about what to do in regards to The Matrix discs. I'm a bit short at the moment but I've been bitten HARD by the HD DVD bug and I want to get MORE. I just had to shell out the last $$ for my new guitar...so I'd have to be very patient...probably into the first of next month before I could drop the hammer on The Ultimate Matrix Boxset. I can go and get at least ONE NEW disc RIGHT NOW though and I'm like a small child in the candy store..."Mommy, I want it RIGHT NOW!"

Merc,

I don't have lossless at this point either but I'll say that the increased resolution in the video makes me drool for the additional audio data. I'm going to limp along like I am for a bit but in a couple years, it'll be time to upgrade again...just before the currently "Cool" technology gets replaced by something even Cooler! That's my lot in life...I have the desire of the early adopter but resources of whatever lands two tiers down from there :D

Max...you didn't fool me at all my friend...I knew that I saw DID and I gave you the benefit of the "finger-slip" doubt. I also remember that you're a big SG fan as you were also the guy to dashed my dreams of becoming the Love-Slave of a Blue, 800 year old plant!

I'm going to go finish the crappy SD version of Superman Returns now...then I have to watch the season finale of Heros and finish the season of "24" on my TIVO after that.

It's going to be a Loooong Night!

15. Shane

Shane Active Member

Correct. Blu only. That's why I mentioned IF They come to HD DVD EVER. If you buy a BR player, then they should be the first discs you buy. They are simply a revelation. I'll startup a seperate thread on them.

Considering how big of a 24 fan you are, 24 on BR will only make things worse :)

16. Paul E. Fox II

Ah...that's what I thought but it would have been VERY easy for to miss something stating the the Mouse was gonna release Pirates on HD DVD so everyone could see it.

Question about the PS3 if you will...

If I were to get a Blu Ray player today, it would be a PS3. That being said, I understand there was something weird with it's output if you didn't have a 1080p capable set...it was downrezzing it to something else? Is that the case?

As much as I don't like Sony (Root Kit thing), I believe that the PS3 is the player to beat as it's a GREAT Blu Ray player that also plays games!

17. Shane

Shane Active Member

The player can't output true 720P. It'll output 1080I, 1080P or 480P as of right now. That might change but who knows. I wouldn't bet on it.

If you have a 1080I set, it merely deinterlaces to 1080I from 1080P. It looks fantastic.

Games are a different story. If the game is 720P native, you won't see 720P. Games can't scale up to 1080I so if your set can't accept 720P then games won't look so hot if the game is 720P. If the game is 1080P like Grand Turismo, it playback in 1080I no problemo and look quite stellar.

I think as games move towards 1080P, the whole 720P thing will be a miniscule thing except those of us that have 720P native displays. Personally If it can get better, I don't know what to say...

Right now it's the player to beat but the Panasonic will be a nice unit at $599. Dolby True HD, Analog outs, pick your output(720p, 1080I, 1080P), DTS HD audio(not master HD), lossless PCM 7.1 outs. It's VERY nice. It won't be compatible with Blu Ray Java 1.1 though so extra features in the future may not work.

It's not a gamble I want to make right now.

18. Paul E. Fox II

Hehe...as I said, it's a GREAT Blu Ray player and plays games as well but if and when I get one of these, gaming would be a rare thing as I would be using it primarily as a Blu Ray player.

Obviously, I have the Xbox 360 and that is my gaming platform of choice. I play very few games anyway but since I'm addicted to the Halo franchise, that's what made me drop the hammer on the 360 in the first place.

I'm thinking Long and Hard about getting the PS3...I don't want to give Sony any business but I'm an HT guy and I'm drooling all over myself at the prospect of seeing The Incredibles in HD some day!

Because and an Uber-Nerd, I think it would actually be cool to have two gaming systems in here anyway...especially since they both have HT uses :wink: