1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Tube guys ~ straight replace or roll?

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by ArtieK, Jun 10, 2007.

1. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

I blew my first tube. I was planning on doing some rolling experiments, but not so soon so I'm unprepared, research-wise. Anyone have any quick ideas, I need my tunes back!

Oh yeah, it's an 845 power tube that blew on one monoblock. Steve?

2. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

I hope you enjoyed the cigarette afterwards. 8)

[Sorry, couldn't resist.]

Kidding aside, rolling power tubes can be an expensive proposition. Different brands of tubes may in fact sound different; whether or not they will sound better is difficult to predict. I can ask around regarding the sonic properties of the different brands of 845s. Whose are you currently using?

Larry

P.S. The medical procedures went okay?

3. Jason P

Jason P Member War Zone Member

What happened to the tube? Did it just stop working, or did it go China syndrome. Those are monoblock SET's you are running right? Because if they are I think you probably want to replace the blown one with the same brand, or replace both with a different brand, as the channel could sound different otherwise.

4. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

I wouldn't use unmatched tubes (i.e. different manufacturers). Depending on how anal you are about this, if you've put a decent number of hours on the other tube, some people would say that a new tube of the same manufacturer will sound a little different.

And talk to the amp manufacturer. Sometimes tubes just die, but it would be a good idea to find out if the amp has user controls for setting bias etc., and if it does, find out how to check it, and get one of your friends to run the checks. You may (unknowingly) be running the tubes at an inappropriate operating point.

5. Jason P

http://store.tubedepot.com/211845.html
    looks like new production tubes are not too pricey, but NOS is to rich for me. I have heard of reliability issues with some of the new production tubes from China.

6. claud

claud Well-Known Member Donor

You got time. Go to Audio Asylum and search the "tubes" forum for 845. You will get a bunch of hits.

7. Steve L.

Steve L. New Member

If by Steve you mean me, I am shocked you remembered that I have 845 monoblocks.

The question is more, why did you blow it. I mean, why did it blow ?

Artie if you didn't live so far away, I'd come down faster than lightning with my buddies to fix it.

8. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

I walked right into that one, didn't I Larry? :lol:

The stockers are Shuguang 845Bs. I didn't see it blow, it must have happened when it was turned off, because it just didn't light up the next day. It looks like a smoked light bulb toward the bottom. They're both biased as per manufacturer's instructions. I was planning on doing both no matter what. I was going to try rolling eventually, it just turns out sooner rather than later.

Of course I mean you Steve :). As far as I know, we're the only two nuts in this nuthouse that use 845s, so naturally I remember. Have you found any special TOOBs on your journey?

Larry, the whole trip was a clusterfuck. The surgeon changed my g-tube IN the ambulance because ventilator preparations hadn't been made. Since he couldn't get good leverage because he was sitting beside me, it took several attempts to pull out the old one. The sensation is similar to being slugged by a baseball bat. My trache was changed in ER and my oxygen ran out midway, so the resident had to bag me while the crew scrambled to find a bottle of O2. But, both procedures were done instead of having to make another trip. It sucked, but it's done. Man, my life is ridiculous sometimes! :lol:

( fucking switch fucking switch fucking switch )

9. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Looks like the filiment just burned out. Same as a light bulb. Nothing to worry about.

Assuming indirect heated cathode?

10. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Artie: as I'm sure you know those 845s are available on line. But much more importantly, glad the awfully painful sounding procedure is done and you are alright!!

11. Steve L.

Steve L. New Member

Artie

I can ask my buddy who has 12000 tubes NOS about how much a chinese 845 goes for. I know the American 845 sells for $$$$. I have never listened to the russian version, and some say it is delightful. Whatever that means.

12. Jason P

So Artie,
    What have you decided to do? I hope you haven't been without music all this time.

13. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

No way Jose! :D I owe you a thank you Jay, I ordered overnight from TubeDepot and was back in business Wednesday with a matched pair of Shuguangs. Like Larry said, power tube rolling is hella expensive, so that will be for another day. It was actually kinda cool to be without the rig for a couple days, because I appreciated it so much more. But, I now have a spare tube so this doesn't happen again :mrgreen:

14. Steve L.

Steve L. New Member

Thta's good to hear Artie

15. Jason P

Good to hear Artie, I found a site with a design of an 845 amp, I found it interesting(but I am a nerd). Thought you might like to see it.
    http://www.tubelab.com/845SE.htm

16. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

That's an interesting design. Some day I'll put a CCS load back in my amp. I loved the way it sounded, but I fried it by sending 2x teh rated current through it (I knew what was going to happen :)). That was a long time ago, and I never re-built it.

17. ArtieK

ArtieK New Member

Are 845s and 211s interchangeable? If they are, does anyone know how the sound is changed?