1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

TV Viewers Dropping Off, Data Reveals

Discussion in 'TV Land' started by Michael M, May 8, 2007.

1. Michael M

Michael M Active Member

Interesting article

Full story

I know I'm watching a lot less TV than I was 2 yrs ago. And like they mentioned in the article, I'm one to record stuff and watch it later.

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

My wife and I made a conscious decision at the end of the year to cut back on the amount of TV we watch. We've dropped a lot of shows from our viewing schedule and now only record those that we really like.

Bones; House; NCIS; L&O; CSI; Criminal Minds; Grey's Anatomy; Lost; Studio 60; Eureka; BSG; Dr. Who

We also record some concerts from MHD/MoJo/CMT and PBS, a few PBS Mystery episodes, like Inspector Lynley or Waking The Dead, some movies, etc.

Shows that we used to follow to varying degree that we no longer record: The Unit; Jericho; CSI:NY; CSI:M; Men In Trees; Desperate Housewives; W/O A Trace; Numb3rs; 2.5 Men; ER; Crossing Jordan; L&O:CI, L&O:SVU; Medium.

We record almost everything, sports is pretty much the only TV we watch live, or Jeopardy during dinner.

3. Alfer

Alfer New Member

We never watch "live" TV anymore..we DVR every show and watch hours or days later.

It's no wonder the "live" numbers seem lower to the big wigs, everyone has started DVR'ing shows and waiting to watch...this will soon be the norm I'd venture to guess.

4. Graeme

Graeme Active Member War Zone Member

Even if they could track when people watched on their DVRs, it wouldn't be useful for advertisement revenue -- most of the time DVR = no commercials.

Personally, we don't watch nearly as much TV as many people do. A big part of that is that there are very few shows that we "have to" watch every week. My fiancee watches Desperate Housewives and Brothers and Sisters, but I only watch if I happen to be around. The last show where we watched every single one religiously was Alias.

Graeme

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

It will be interesting to see if the TV industry adapts or tries to purchase legislation to prevent their outdated business model from become outdated like the RIAA and MPAA. Of course, they may already be able to leverage existing legislation to prevent people from recording a show or perhaps to prevent people from fast forwarding through commercials in the future.

6. Hayes Preston

Hayes Preston New Member

I am very similar in my viewing habits, even for show that I want to watch the same night as they air, I will wait at least ten to fifteen minutes after the show has started to air, then start watching the DVR (that way I can avoid all of the commercials)

The exception for me are pay channel shows (Sopranos, Tudors, Dexter etc.) since there are no commercial breaks.

7. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

Well last year I was watching at least 5 shows:

Desperate Housewives
    The OC
    Prison Break
    American idol

Now I watch 4
    Desperate Housewives
    Pirson Break
    South Park