1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Tweeter Going Chapter 11?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Lounge' started by Buzz Goddard, May 10, 2007.

1. Buzz Goddard

Buzz Goddard New Member

From a news release on their site.
    Very sad and in my opinion bad for the entire industry...

http://www.twtr.com/phoenix.zhtml?c...e&ID=998716&highlight=

The Company believes that it does not have sufficient working capital to fund its short-term needs, such as the payment of costs associated with store closings, lump-sum payments to landlords of closed stores with whom it reaches settlements, and to fund its long-term cash needs. The Company continues to investigate the marketability of its investment in Tivoli, a privately-held company in which Tweeter currently holds an ownership interest of 18.75%. There is no guarantee that the Company will be able to sell the Tivoli stock. The Company is pursuing other alternatives for raising additional capital. Any additional capital could take the form of debt or equity, but there can be no assurance that additional debt or equity will be available on acceptable terms or at all. Any equity financing could result in substantial dilution to existing stockholders. Absent obtaining additional capital or reaching adequate settlements with the landlords of its closing stores, the Company may choose to file for reorganization under Chapter 11 of the bankruptcy code.

2. Alfer

Alfer New Member

I say we blame it on Wal Mart..:)

3. Drew Mitten

Drew Mitten New Member

I love Wally-World. That where I get all the things that I have to persoanlly purchase! Back off!

4. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

Cool!

Tell us how it is working there! :D

5. Alfer

Alfer New Member

Where have you been young man!! You should know me and the fam loves our Wally Worlds!!

It's the other WM Haters here ya need to go after....:)

6. Hayes Preston

Hayes Preston Member

So what does this mean for my extended warranties on my SXRD and the XA1 I bought from Tweeter :x

Now that the self centered part is out of the way, yes, I think this is bad for the industry as a whole.

7. Buzz Goddard

Buzz Goddard New Member

Well its only a maybe (but if they wrote that it is probably pretty likely).
    Anc it is only Chapter 11 which would not effect your warranty.
    Chances are that paper is actually handled by a third party as well.

8. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Hayes most of the extended warranties were written by CEW (?) which is a 3rd party so you are good to go unless something changed there.

This happens to explain much of what I saw in Sound Advice a few weeks ago. :( (I need one with a big tear in its eye)

Max

9. Hayes Preston

Hayes Preston Member

OK, this still sucks for the industry.

Thanks Buzz and Max for putting my mind at ease.

10. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Like it or not, this (and the demise of many other similar chains) is partly about competition from Wal Mart and Best Buy and Costco and other big box stores... and from Internet sales. The biggest shocker to me was the death of Tower Records. The age of specialty retailers is drawing to a close, apparently. Sadly, if you ask me.

11. How, if at all, will this affect the money I owe them for my past Christmas presents?
    I owe them a $80 payment due today at 5pm....?

12. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

It doesn't effect anything, you still owe the CC comapny the money, their card is not an in house card it is done by a third party company just like the extended warranties. :)

Max

13. Thanks Max, and HI! Glad to see you and your's are well.

My Tweeter CC is with the same company as my card with OneCall and a few other electronic's companies, so yes, I better dang well pay them. :)

14. Jerry Pease

Jerry Pease New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

exactly what I was thinking

15. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Actually, a lot of experts are blaming WalMart and their sub-$1K Black Friday plasma panel. Tweeter and other companies lost tons of forecasted revenue because all the J6P's that were thinking about purchasing a plasma/LCD this year picked on up at WalMart on Black Friday 2006. Really killed the market for several months following.

16. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

Actually, a lot of experts are blaming WalMart and their sub-$1K Black Friday plasma panel. Tweeter and other companies lost tons of forecasted revenue because all the J6P's that were thinking about purchasing a plasma/LCD this year picked on up at WalMart on Black Friday 2006. Really killed the market for several months following.

17. Hehe... my gameroom $500 50 inch RCA HDTV w/ HDMI input was bought via a Black Friday sale. Probably the best 3 hours of missed sleep I've had in many years.... :)
    I guess you gotta know WTF you are buying if you take advantage of those Walmart black light specials?

18. Hehe... my gameroom $500 50 inch RCA HDTV w/ HDMI input was bought via a Black Friday sale. Probably the best 3 hours of missed sleep I've had in many years.... :)
    I guess you gotta know WTF you are buying if you take advantage of those Walmart black light specials?