Upconversion on Panny Blu Ray vs. Toshiba HD DVD

Discussion in 'Movie Lounge' started by Matt Johnson, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Matt Johnson

Matt Johnson New Member

I've watched a couple movies now on both sets...Finding Nemo and Apocalypto (actually first half hour on HD DVD, rest on Blu Ray).

Although I've been praising the HD DVD for upconversion...I actually think the BluRay looks better.

On Apocalypto, the leaves in the jungle were more defined and overall seemed llike a more crisp picture.

On Finding Nemo, I never thought the HD DVD player did as good as it should have and on the BluRay it made me feel like it was close to HD quality.

Anyone else have a comparison?

I haven't found any difference in quality in HD between the two though. (although X-Men 3 did seem to be grainy and not as clean in some shots and outstanding in others, probably source material vs. player.)

2. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill New Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Which players?

3. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

I'll bet it has more to do with the upconversion chips used in different brand players than with the HD format it is designed to play.

4. Max Yokell

Max Yokell Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Well I know he just got the Panasonic Blu-Ray player with the 5 free movies so that would be A model.

Not sure which Tosh HD-DVD player he has.

5. Matt Johnson

Matt Johnson New Member

Sorry, Toshiba HD A2 and the Panny DMP-BD10A...I agree it's probably the players, not the format. Just wondering if anyone else sees a difference with their units.