Upgrade my turntable?

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Tyson, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I currently own this turntable:

MUSIC HALL MMF-2.1 TURNTABLE W/MUSIC HALL TRACKER CARTRIDE
    MMF-2-Large.jpg

Would anyone happen to know if, one, this turntable is even upgradeable as far as cartridges and tonearms, and two, would it even be worth it?

I'm very please with this turntable, especially at the price, but I'm curious what I would need to spend to bump up the sound quality considerably, or if buying a completely new turntable is my only real choice.

Any thoughts?

2. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

What's your budget?

The heart of a turntable is usually the motor/bearing/platter, so spending a bunch of money on a better arm/cart may not be worth it. You could get a new cart, there are excellent options at all price points. I'm not familiar with the stock cart on that TT, so I won't venture a guess as to how much you should spend on a cart.

If you want a new TT, the MMF-5 is a logical option, I think. The Rega P3 is also in that price range, I believe... I loved my P3, even though it's certainly not the last word in neutrality/accuracy.

3. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

You can change the cart. I have that TT and put on one of the Adcom carts that Mike was raving about.

4. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Was there a difference?

5. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Music Hall Tracker MM 6.5 mV output cartridge

Well I was wondering what a $200 cartridge would change. Somewhere in that ballpark.

Eventually I want to move on to the next level so the MMF-5 would probably be a good one.

6. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

Yes, most notably because the tip of that particular cart is shaped in a specific way (Mike will know the term) which makes it less prone to picking up on surface noise and minor scratches. There were regular sonic benefits as well such as a richer sound though.

7. Saurav

Saurav Active Member War Zone Member

I meant, I haven't kept up-to-date on audiophile chatter about that cart, so I don't know what it sounds like, how good it is for the money, what would be a decent step up, etc.

8. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

BTW, I don't know if that qualifies as masking the sonic faults of vinyl or not :D

9. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Oh, sorry. Thought you were saying you didn't know what it came with.

10. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

CJ, for that you need this:

[​IMG]

11. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

Saurav, you are on my good list!! While cartriges and arms receive most of the attention, the m/b/p have a profound infuence on the sound.

Larry

12. Geof

Geof New Member

Another concrete and simple man... :roll:

:lol:

13. CJ

Top Poster Of Month

I guess its important to note then that the turntable does have a bearing... on the sound. Ba dump cha!

14. LarryB

LarryB Active Member

You have a point - - - on the top of your head.

Ba dump cha!

15. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll HTT Refugee Donor War Zone Member

Sounds like a Micro-Line stylus. I have an AT440-ML on my MMF-5 and it was a distinct improvement over the Goldring 1012 stock cartridge.

Tyson, YGPM.

16. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

17. Steve L.

Steve L. New Member

You think you're funny don't you ? :)

:lol:

18. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I saw some of their stuff over at Elusive Disc. Pricey!

I'd love to eventually get into Vinyl enough to work up to something really nice like some of their stuff, but I don't see it happening with my line of work. :)

19. Steve L.

Steve L. New Member

I use that one all the time, and I finish off by saying :

Other than top of your head, I don't see your point.

Also :

Just cause your head goes to a point, it doesn't mean your sharp.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:oops: :oops: :oops: SORRY!!!

20. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Perhaps, but their cumulative effect is less than that of electricity. ;)