1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Verizon is discontinuing E-mail service!

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Pete Mazz, May 19, 2017.

1. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Active Member War Zone Member

I just got a notification from Verizon. They are "getting out of the email business". Really?? My ISP doesn't offer email service anymore???

2. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Really does this upset you? Using email tied to an ISP makes about as much sense as getting health insurance from your employer. On a related note my in-laws just email blasted out a notice that they're getting new email addresses (gmail) as they've been rocking a shared CompuServe email account this entire time.

3. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

Since Verizon bought Yahoo and Yahoo already has a email - why duplicate service? I have a friend who moved over to gmail.

4. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor

I have a work email and a personal gmail account. My wife has been on verizon.net for years and now that we are physically moving to "xfinity-land" I am wondering if she should take a new comcast email address or move over to gmail instead ? What's everyone else doing?

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

I had gmail for years but migrated to icloud 3-4 years ago an never looked back. I also have three domains so I could create as many emails addresses as I want. If I want jimsucks_at_hometheaterlounge.com I can have it :p

6. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

Except for the early days of AOL (and I worked for them), I've never used an ISP email address. My email address from my current ISP is set to forward anything (not that I get anything anyway) to my email address.

7. jasn

jasn Well-Known Member Donor

Go for it CJ! It'd be an honor. :)

I forgot my wife already has an iCloud email address. That make a lot of sense. I'll just make sure all of her peripherals are being uploaded too. Thx.

8. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Active Member War Zone Member

I'm pissed because my business email is a verizon account and I have to change all my stationary, business cards, contacts, etc.

9. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Active Member

Get your own domain and then you can switch providers as you please without having to go through that again.

10. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

As Dustin said, get a domain name under your business and you can deduct the cost from your business.

11. Barry_NJ

Barry_NJ Active Member War Zone Member

I've had a pobox.com account for years, back when the only real option for email was your ISP, and I hated having to tell everyone about my new email address, and since I was changing ISPs nearly annually. I suppose I could move away from pobox.com now, but then I'd have to go to all my accounts and update my email address, plus they do a pretty nice job of filtering spam.

12. Kenny Stultz

Kenny Stultz Member

I have Verizon and they sent me a notice that said AOL was taking over their email service. They made the switchover such that you could keep your Verizon.net email address if you want to. That's what I did. There was a little setup involved but everything is working fine. In fact, it's working better than before because they went from Pop3 to IMAP and now the three devices I use sync very well.

CJ likes this.