1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Video Games: Blockbusters or "quick and fun"

Discussion in 'Smartphones, Computers, Gaming and Networking' started by Michael, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

So I have noticed lately that I have really cut down on my normal game purchases and have leaned towards lots of arcade games. I played the Halo 3 demo a bunch and will definitely buy the game, but I probably won't get more then 1-2 other "retail" games before then.

I will probably end up playings lots of demos and buy a couple of arcade games. What I am trying to say is that I have gotten to the point that I either want a big, great game or a nice simple (and fun) game. I have almost zero interest in a "good, but not great" $60 title. I don't have any urge to take a chance on a packaged game, but have no qualms about rolling the dice on a Live arcade game.

This not only extends to my current 360, but even looking forward to when I get a Wii. I will probably get 2-3 packaged titles, and end up with at least a dozen of their old school classics in the first month.

Anyone else on this path? Looking for and playings lots of simple, fun games with the occasional blockbuster thrown in (something like Gears of War, Oblivion, etc)?

2. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Michael,

I've been on this path for a couple of years now. I haven't considered myself a "Hardcore" gamer for a long time. With the ability to rent games for the 360 it really helps because I can pick up a "good, but not great" title and play it, but not feel like I have to invest a ton of time in it if I don't like it that much.

Now that some cool games have started hitting Arcade I'm spending more time there.

It's one of the main reasons why I have pretty much only played Guitar Hero, Pinball and Catan over the last couple of months. Both are easy to get into and play for 20-30 minutes and then step away.

I still enjoy RPGs, though I'd much rather play something like Blue Dragon which is massive but more linear than Oblivion which is massive and so open-ended.

3. Michael

Michael Junior Geek

I hear ya!

I really enjoyed Enchanted Arms and would not mind another strong japanese style RPG. I don't want to spend all my time on those, but it is nice to play through one of those once or twice a year.

4. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Its all about time for me. Some games you have to build your skill set to continue and if you stall out for whatever reason its tough to go back. This is what happened with Zelda (Wii) for me. Now its tough to get back into it though I'd like to finish it.

5. Shane

Shane Active Member

I'm sort of doing that except I wait until a price drop happens for me to jump in to the bigger titles. The must owns I buy right out of the gate. The others like Dead Rising I wait a while for.

Looking at the rest of the year on the PS3 and 360, I'm seeing a ton of titles coming and little money so I'm going to budget accordingly to make it happen. I'll be very busy with games on both platforms.

6. Ken McDaniel

Ken McDaniel Active Member War Zone Member

I'm into the big titles. I even keep a running list of my purchases almost 6 months out. So far I'm waiting on:

1. Halo 3
    2. Mass Effect
    3. Half Life 2 Orange Box

We'll see what happens after that.

7. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member War Zone Member Top Poster

Well... I WAAAAAAAAAS waiting for manhunt, BUUUUUUUUUT NO! :(

8. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

With games not getting any cheaper, although they are still cheaper than some games were on the SNES, I'm probably going to buy more blockbuster games than hidden gems, especially for multiplayer since I know that's what most people I play online will buy. I also can see what you mean about buying more XBLA games as I really feel that I've gotten more money out of UNO, Worms and Catan than I have out of Gears of War.

My main games this fall are:

1. Half-Life 2: Orange Box
    2. Burnout 5
    3. Halo 3
    4. Grand Theft Auto IV

9. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Oh man, FINALLY someone else on here who plays Burnout! :) We've got to race sometime!

10. Sean80

Sean80 New Member

For sure. I still have Revenge for the 360. I think a few other people I know do as well.

11. Troy Seufert

Troy Seufert New Member

Cool, it's one of the handful of games I actually own. I almost got all 1000 gamer points for it, just missing I think 4 of the Live ones.

I better brush up on my driving skills.

12. Mike Parent

Mike Parent New Member

My next retail game will probably be Bioshock.

I still playing the shit out of Gears and I have been rediscovering Oblivion also.

I have been playing more Arcade games than I have in quite some time.

Though that goes in cycles for me - play Arcade for a month or so leave it alone for a bit... until recently there has not been very many arcade titles to hold my interest, particularly the pick up and play for a few minutes variety - but that has improved quite a bit the past couple months.