1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Vintage Grundig rebuild

Discussion in 'Hardware Lounge' started by Mike, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant

I picked up a vintage Grundig console and I want to modernize it a bit. The amp is really in bad shape, the tuner doesnt work and the turntable has been replaced with a crappy Realistic model. Given what this is going to do, I may be able to live with the turntable.

I plan on replacing the stock tuner/amp with a vintage receiver and building the cabinet out around it to make it look built in.

Here is the issue, this is a mono console. There are two tweeters and a single woofer. See the photo attached. Whoever replaced the turntable is just using one of the channels to drive the current amp. The amp has a ferocious buzz in it and the turntable grinds, so I plan on removing the turntable and using the space to put a cable box and and a blu-ray player in.

Sooo....

How do I make that speaker config work with a stereo receiver? I dont want to rework that cabinet unless there is no other way. I could remove the large woofer and make a wooden plate that covered the hole and mount 2 small woofers in the same space. And honestly, that is the direction I was headed unless someone has a better idea.

I would just buy some inexpensive speakers and remove the drivers and crossover and install them in this cabinet. I am not concerned with sound quality as much as the cosmetics of the piece. It would only be used for party music anyway. 20170605_185014_resized.jpg 20170605_185035_resized.jpg 20170605_185111_resized.jpg

Thanks in advance.

2. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

I would buy 2 of those wonderful 4 inch TangBand bamboo full rangers and 1 Dayton DVC sub. Then a simple car audio XO at around 80 Hz and you will have nice stereo as well as stereo bass for the dual voice coil unit.

These ones "Tang Band W4-1320SJ 4" Bamboo Cone Driver" from www.parts-express.com!

I can vouch personal, now running 8 of them myself - :)

3. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant

That may just work. Thanks Mike. Any others? Im open for suggestions...

4. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant

Ooops, the driver has to mount from the back of the baffle. Not saying I couldnt modify it, but I dont want to lose those grill ports on the front of the cabinet.

5. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant

I will pull those speakers out this week and see what I have to work with.

6. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

Mike likes this.
  7. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

8. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

Mike likes this.
  9. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Make sure your loudspeaker load is at least 8-ohms (16 works better) and connect to the two + speaker outputs. Left + and right +. That's it.

Mike likes this.
  10. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant

Really David, that simple? Wow, that sounds fantastic!! What do I do with the negative speaker leads?

11. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant

This is what I have. I think I am missing something in your instructions David....sorry to be so dim.

Attached Files:

12. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant

I would prefer to leave those speakers intact, but the idea of a dual cone woofer driven off the B outputs of a vintage receiver and the full range drivers driven off the A outputs sounds pretty easy too.

13. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

14. Phil A

Phil A Active Member

As to wiring perhaps do the little full ranges ones as left and right and run another set of wiring to a crossover (e.g. 80hz) and sum the bass driver to mono? If one is using a modern stereo receiver to drive them, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't end up with a bad impedance load (and I'm sure there are sites that can help)

Mike likes this.
  15. Mike B

Does that thing have a tube amp?

16. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant

Yes

17. Mike B

Cool.

Might be worth fixing the buzz. If not possible get a K12G and do it stereo with the TB's and the DVC.

You could put a Tivoli in there too and that tuner just rocks.

18. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

Top Poster Of Month

Nothing. Just positive to positive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19. Mike B

This is a cool project right up your alley. Combines your love of furniture with your love of sound. I'm thinking you are doing this for you?

If selling I would just refinish unless you have an old "Grundig" buddy you could hit up.

Mike likes this.
  20. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant

Hopefully will be used in my home. :)